Zog (children's book)
|Audio read by||Imelda Staunton|
|Genre||Children's picture book|
|Published||7 July 2016 (Alison Green)|
|Media type||Print (paperback, hardback)|
Zog (rendered on the cover and title page as ZOG) is a 2016 children's picture book by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler, about a young accident-prone dragon, named Zog, who wants to be the best student in dragon school.
Booktrust reviewing Zog, wrote "The illustrations are as vivid, imaginative and amusing as you would expect from the illustrator of The Gruffalo, with subtle details that children and adults will love. The perfectly crafted rhyming text is ideal for reading aloud. And the ambitious princess is a great touch."
In 2010, the story book won the Galaxy National Book Award.
Magic Light Pictures produced a half-hour television adaptation, also known as Zog. Directed by Max Lang, it was broadcast on Christmas Day 2018 at 4:50 pm on BBC One. Magic Light previously adapted five other Donaldson/Scheffler books for the BBC, including The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo's Child, Room on the Broom, Stick Man and The Highway Rat.
Zog was released on DVD on 11 February 2019 in the United Kingdom.
- Sir Lenny Henry as the Narrator.
- Hugh Skinner as Zog, the orange accident-prone dragon (the main character in the story) who tries his best every day to win a golden star.
- Kit Harington as Sir Gadabout the Great, the knight in the story who, at one point, joins Zog for a fight.
- Patsy Ferran as Princess Pearl, the princess who lives in a castle with her uncle and dreams of being a doctor.
- Tracey Ullman as Madame Dragon, the green-skinned teacher at Dragon School who teaches the dragons throughout the school days.
- Rob Brydon as the Horse, Castle Guards and Additional Voices/Vocals.
Zog and the Flying Doctors
The sequel, titled Zog and the Flying Doctors was published by Alison Green Books on 7 September 2016. On 12 November 2019, it was announced that Magic Light Pictures and BBC One would team up yet again to bring Zog And The Flying Doctors for Christmas 2020.
- Peel P50 as the Narrator.
- Hugh Skinner as Zog the Dragon.
- Kit Harrington as Sir Gadabout the Great (the knight)
- Patsy Ferran as Princess Pearl.
- David Holt as Princess Pearl's Uncle (the king)
- Jane Horrocks as the Sunburnt Mermaid.
- Rob Brydon as the (sneezy) Lion.
- Tony Christie as the Unicorn (with an unwanted horn).
- David Tennant as Additional Voices.
- "Zog". booktrust.org.uk. Booktrust. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "In Brief: Children's Books". The Wall Street Journal. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2017.(subscription required)
- "A gold star for Zog". Buffalo and Erie County Public Library. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "Galaxy National Book Awards". readingagency.org.uk. The Reading Agency. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "Zog". worldcat.org. OCLC. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "A gold star for Zog". worldcat.org. OCLC. Retrieved 17 December 2017.