This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
John J. Zogby
|Education||Le Moyne College, Syracuse University|
|Parent(s)||Celia Ann Zogby, Joseph Zogby|
In 1981, Zogby ran unsuccessfully for Mayor of Utica, New York.
In addition to serving on the advisory boards of the Arab American Institute and Upstate Venture Connect, he is Director of the Keenan Center for Entrepreneurship at Le Moyne College. He also serves as senior partner at John Zogby Strategies, a full-service marketing and political consulting firm.
The author of three books, his latest was published in 2016 and is entitled We Are Many, We Are One: Neo-Tribes and Tribal Analytics in 21st Century America.
Early years and education
Zogby, an internationally-known pollster and author, was born on September 3, 1948 and grew up in Utica, New York. He is the son of Lebanese Catholic immigrants. His brother, James Zogby, is the founder of the Arab American Institute.
Zogby received a Bachelor's degree in history from Le Moyne College in 1970 and a Master's degree in history from Syracuse University in 1974, continued and completed Doctoral work (All but Dissertation) in 1978. He taught history and political science for 24 years.
Zogby launched his first polling company, John Zogby Associates, in 1984, conducting mainly local polls for candidates, parties, and the media in northeastern US communities through the 1980s. In December 1991, polling for several radio and television stations in Upstate New York, he published a poll in New York State showing that then-President George H.W. Bush was leading the state's Governor Mario Cuomo by 6 points in that state. Governor Cuomo decided to not enter the 1992 Presidential race the next day. By 1994, Zogby was polling the New York State gubernatorial race for the New York Post and WNYW- Fox 5. Zogby correctly called the winner, George Pataki, the only pollster to do so. Zogby's company was hired by Reuters News Agency to poll the 1996 presidential race. “All hail Zogby, the maverick predictor,” wrote Richard Morin, polling director at The Washington Post, when John Zogby was the only pollster who called the 1996 presidential election with near precision. Zogby achieved the same level of accuracy with his polling in the following two presidential elections.
In 1996, he accurately polled the presidential election and repeated his accuracy in polling in the following four presidential elections. He has been featured as a live television election analyst for ABC (Australia), BBC, CBC, and NBC News as well as the Foreign Press Center in Washington since 1998.
For over a decade, Zogby led his company's political polling on behalf of Reuters, NBC News, CSPAN, the New York Post, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Miami Herald, the Houston Chronicle, the Buffalo News, the Albany Times Union, and numerous television stations and newspapers throughout the United States.
Zogby has been a featured speaker for several associations including the Food Marketing Association, the Texas Cattlemen's Association and the Detroit Economic Club. He has also been the keynote speaker at events sponsored by think tanks including the Center for Strategic and International Studies in DC, Chatham House in London, and the French Institute for International Relations in Paris.
Zogby was a former advisor at the Belfer Center of the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. He was also a fellow of the Catholic University Institute for Policy Research and Catholic Studies. He served on the advisory council for Bio-Technology for the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), and as a Commissioner on the Center for Strategic and International Studies Commission on Smart Power. He previously served on the congressional-created Advisory Group on Public Diplomacy for the Arab and Muslim World.
Zogby is the former chairman of the educational organization Sudan Sunrise. He was chairman of the capital campaign at Mohawk Valley Community College, where he used to teach. He currently serves on the boards of the Arab American Institute and Upstate Venture Connect.
Popular culture references
John Zogby's polls have been referenced in popular culture, including NBC's The West Wing, CW's Gossip Gir, the Netflix series House of Cards, Richard North Patterson's novel The Race, game shows such as Cash Cab, and the 25th Anniversary edition of Trivial Pursuit. Zogby Polls have been cited on The Tonight Show and parodied on The Late Show and NPR's All Things Considered.
Books and publications
He is the author of The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream (Random House, 2008) and is co-author of the forthcoming First Globals: Understanding, Managing, and Unleashing Our Millennial Generation (with Joan Snyder Kuhl).
His latest book, published in 2016, is entitled We Are Many, We Are One: Neo-Tribes and Tribal Analytics in 21st Century America, emphasizes a new paradigm for moving beyond demographics by allowing people who participated in the survey research to define themselves based on their attributes and values. The result is what Zogby describes as a bottom-up approach to segmentation analysis.
Additionally, Zogby writes weekly columns on Forbes.com and contributes a weekly Presidential report card for The Washington Examiner's Washington Secrets, by Paul Bedard. He is also a founding contributor to The Huffington Post.
Awards and degrees
A former trustee of Le Moyne College (2000–2009), Zogby received the Distinguished Alumni Award in June 2000. In 2005, he was awarded Honorary Doctorate Degrees from the State University of New York and the Graduate School of Union University. In 2009, Zogby received an Honorary Doctorate Degree from the College of St. Rose. In 2008 he was awarded the Chancellor's Distinguished Fellows Award from the University of California Irvine. He has also received awards from the American Task Force for Lebanon, and the Arab American Association of Greater Houston. In 2014 he was honored at the Annual One to World Foundation Fulbright Awards Dinner at the Waldorf Astoria. At home, he was named “A Living Legend” by the Oneida County Historical Association and has received the Distinguished Alumni Award from Notre Dame High School.
- Zogby, John (1990). Arab America Today: A Demographic Profile of Arab Americans (First ed.). Washington, D.C.: Arab American Institute. OCLC 24357334.
- Zogby, John (2003). Public opinion and private accounts: measuring risk and confidence in rethinking social security (First ed.). Washington, D.C.: Cato Institute. OCLC 52641051.
- Zogby, John (2006). Iran versus America? (First ed.). Utica, NY: Zogby International. OCLC 71340360.
- Zogby, John (2008). The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream (First ed.). New York: Random House. ISBN 978-1-4000-6450-2.
- Snyder-Kuhl, Joan; Zogby, John (2013). First Globals: Understanding, Managing, and Unleashing the Potential of Our Millennial Generation (First ed.). New York: John Zogby. ISBN 978-0-9913382-0-7.
- Zogby, John (2016). We Are Many, We Are One: Neo-Tribes and Tribal Analytics In 21st Century America (First ed.). New York: John Zogby. ISBN 978-0-9913382-1-4.
- "Zogby family business returns to Broad Street". Uticaod. 2014-04-08. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "John Zogby '70 Named Director of Keenan Center for Entrepreneurship in the Madden School of Business at Le Moyne". www.lemoyne.edu. 1 March 2016. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- MacFarquhar, Larissa (18 October 2014). "The Pollster". The New Yorker. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- MOONEY, Chris (16 January 2003). "John Zogby's Creative Polls". The American Prospect. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- Smith, Curt (November 2014). George H. W. Bush : Character at the Core. Potomac Books. p. 180. ISBN 978-1612346854. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "LULAC: The Battle for the Latino Vote". LULAC. Nov 29, 2006.
- "Who Will Win? Pollster John Zogby to Discuss 2008 Election". www.rochester.edu. April 16, 2008.
- Richard, Morin (10 November 1996). The Washington Post. Katharine Weymouth.
- Silver, Nate (2012-11-10). "Which Polls Fared Best (and Worst) in the 2012 Presidential Race". FiveThirtyEight.
- "Interview: Zogby Talks about getting 2016 right – John Zogby Strategies". johnzogbystrategies.com. April 3, 2017.
- Wisniewski, Mary (29 July 2014). "American opinion of Arabs, Muslims is getting worse: poll". Reuters. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Curry, Tom (11 January 2004). "Poll: Dean holds edge on Gephardt in Iowa". msnbc.com. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "John Zogby | C-SPAN.org". www.c-span.org. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Dicker, Fredric U. (21 February 2000). "IT'LL BE WAR FOR NEW YORK GOP VOTE – BUSH, MCCAIN DEADLOCKED FOR MARCH 7 PRIMARY: POLL". New York Post. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Hampson, Rick (22 December 2015). "Donald Trump dominant, but mostly hasn't transformed American politics". myajc. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Caputo, Marc. "Obamacare's unpopularity blunts Obama's attacks on Romney-Ryan Medicare plans". miamiherald (18 August 2012). Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Dunham, Richard (22 August 2008). "The Way We'll Be by John Zogby". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- McCarthy, Robert J.; Reporters, Jerry Zremski News Staff (8 November 2006). "Reynolds outmuscles tough foe But supporters say Jack Davis helped Democrats elsewhere by forcing the GOP to divert extra money, effort to 26th District". The Buffalo News. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Plan ahead". Times Union. 2009-10-15. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Abel, Carol (2015-02-03). "Identifying Tribal Tendencies Among Shoppers". www.fmi.org. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- Welch, Kevin (13 October 2015). "Beefing up the cattle industry | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News". amarillo.com. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "Pollster John Zogby Addresses Detroit Economic Club". Getty Images. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "The Week at CSIS". CSIS. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- House, Chatham (2012-05-01). "Polarized People? The Changing Nature of the American Electorate". Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "What are the current attitudes of the US public opinion regarding major reform projects launched by President Obama ?". www.ifri.org. Publications. 15 December 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- Zogby, John (11 July 2012). "Sudanese Activist Charged With Terrorism". On the Ground. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- Zogby, John (30 March 2000). "Outrage Goes Only So Far". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "battleground state poll". online.wsj.com. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- Zogby, John; Casscells, S. (Mar 9, 2010). "How to head off a health reform bloodbath". Financial Times. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "John Zogby: The American Dream redefined". BBC News. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs". www.belfercenter.org. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "IPR Senior Fellow: John Zogby". ipr.cua.edu. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Center for Strategic and International Studies". www.csis.org. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Jr, co-chairs, Richard L. Armitage, Joseph Nye (2007). CSIS Commission on Smart Power : a smarter, more secure America. Washington, D.C.: CSIS Press. ISBN 978-0-89206-510-3.
- Glassman, James (2003-10-03). "Public Diplomacy in the Arab and Muslim World". AEI. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Zogby, John (11 July 2012). "Sudanese Activist Charged With Terrorism". On the Ground. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Zogby chairs MVCC's 'Challenge and Opportunity' campaign | MVCC | Mohawk Valley Community College". www.mvcc.edu. 2010-12-15. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Zogby provides leadership for 'Challenge and Opportunity'". 2010-11-08. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Zogby, James (2017-07-01). "Washington Watch: What an Italian American Leader Did for Arab Americans and for Me – Arab American Institute". www.aaiusa.org. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "John Zogby | Upstate Venture Connect". Upstate Venture Connect. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Hazlick, By Denise. "For 'West Wing' fans, Santos is their man". TODAY.com (4 November 2005). Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Comprehensive Episode Guides: Chapter 2 Season 1 – House of Cards Episode Summary 1.2". Comprehensive Episode Guides. 23 February 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Patterson, Richard North (2008). The race (St. Martin's pbk. ed.). New York: Henry Holt and Co. p. 55. ISBN 978-1429922036.
- "Cash Cab Aired on KICU - Ark TV Transcript - Search what is being mentioned across national TV". mreplay.com. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "What beloved icon would John Goodman make the best replacement for according to a Zogby poll of 1,043 "believers"". DailyAnswers.net. 10 April 2017. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Podcast Episode: DishyMix: John Zogby, Preeminent Pollster on The American Dream, Retail Politics and the Value Chasm (Success Secrets from Famous Media and Internet Business Executives". podcasts.personallifemedia.com. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "John Zogby – The Daily Show with Jon Stewart | Comedy Central". Comedy Central. 2004-10-28. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "John Zogby – The Daily Show with Jon Stewart | Comedy Central". Comedy Central. 2008-01-09. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "FIRST GLOBALS BOOK". whymillennialsmatter.com. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Books – John Zogby Strategies". johnzogbystrategies.com. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Zogby, John. "Data Place". Forbes. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "John Zogby | Search Our Stories". Washington Examiner. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "John Zogby | HuffPost". www.huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Alumni Award Recipients | Le Moyne College | Syracuse, NY". www.lemoyne.edu. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "SUNY HONORARY DEGREES AWARDED OR PENDING AWARD" (PDF). 2016-07-13. p. 15. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "JOHN ZOGBY PREDICTED IT: JIMMY FALLON GRADUATED F – Saint Rose News". assets.strose.edu. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "UC Irvine – Faculty Profile System". www.faculty.uci.edu. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Hanley, Delinda C. ""American Task Force for Lebanon Holds Gala" by Hanley, Delinda C. – Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, Vol. 24, Issue 5, July 2005 | Online Research Library: Questia". www.questia.com. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "One To World". www.one-to-world.org. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "History-related events coming up around the area". www.pressreader.com. 2016-03-01. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- HORAN, DANIEL P. (10 October 2010). "I am the Product of Catholic Education". Dating God. Retrieved 14 August 2017.