The Zogist salute, or the nationalist Albanian salute, is a military salute of Albania since used by civilians in other countries. The salute is a gesture whereby the right hand is placed over the heart, with the palm facing downwards.
The salute is still popular with modern supporters of Zogu and Albanian monarchists in general, and the Albanian nationalists of the Balli Kombëtar. Under the post-war communist government of Enver Hoxha, the Zogist salute was used by dissidents as an anti-regime statement.
Leo Freundlich, when confronted by the Nazi greeting "Heil Hitler", would sarcastically respond with a "Heil Zogu" salute. The confusion which this created among German diplomats, who believed it to be a standard Albanian greeting, greatly amused him.
A similar salute is also used in India by the organization Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. This salute is called Sangh pranaam. It is also the normal way of taking the Indian pledge. In Latin America, especially in Mexico, a gesture similar to the Zogist salute is used by civilians to salute the Mexican flag during the national anthem.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zogist salutes.|
- "Britannica Online Encyclopedia". Britannica.com. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- "Ahmet Zogu 1 – King of the Albanians 1895 – 1961". Albanur.net. 2002. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- Zontar 2.0 (2007-12-02). "The Crypt of Torpor: The Zogist Salute". Cryptoftorpor.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- Elsie, Robert. "1913 | Leo Freundlich: Albania's Golgotha: Indictment of the Exterminators of the Albanian People". Texts and Documents of Albanian History. Albanianhistory.net. Archived from the original on 4 May 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Flag Day in Mexico". Vacations.com. 2010-02-24. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- Rippberger, Susan J.; Staudt, Kathleen A. (2012-12-06). Pledging Allegiance: Learning Nationalism at the El Paso-Juarez Border. Routledge. p. 53. ISBN 9781136063060.
Students, teachers, and others stand at attention with their right hand held precisely at right angle to their chest, hand flat, parallel to their heart.