|Full name||BERCZIK Zoltan|
Zoltán Berczik (7 August 1937 – 11 January 2011) was a Hungarian table tennis player. In the late fifties he was ranked among the best European table tennis players and won, with his athletic play, the first two titles at the Table Tennis European Championships.
He won the Hungarian championship in single continuously from 1959 to 1964. He won the double competition in 1959 with László Földy, in 1960 and 1961 with Ferenc Sido, in 1962 Miklós Péterfy, in 1963 with János Faházi and 1967 with István Jony. In mixed doubles he won in 1960 with Gizella Farkas and Éva Kóczián in 1967.
He won the team championships in 1957, 1958, 1959, 1962 and 1964 with the club Vasútépítő Törekvés and in 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1969 with Bp. Vasutas SC.
Berczik took part in World Cups five times: in 1957 he secured the silver medal with the Hungarian team. This happened again at the World Cup in 1959, where he also won the bronze medal in doubles (with László Földy) and mixed (with Gizella Lantos-Gervai-Farkas). At the World Cup in 1961, he was third with the team and runner-up in doubles with Ferenc Sido. In 1963 and 1965 he won no medals.
At the Youth European Championship in 1955 in Stuttgart, he arrived in final in doubles, where he lost.
He achieved his greatest success at the European Championships in 1958 and 1960. Here he became European champion both in single and with the Hungarian team. In 1958 he won the Mixed with Gizella Lantos, in 1960 the double competition with Ferenc Sido. In 1964 he reached the final of the individual, which he lost to Kjell Johansson, and semi-finals in doubles.
From 1969 he served as coach for the Hungarian national team. After a stay in Japan in 1985, he coached Budapest Vasutas SC. In the 1990s he wrote a series of articles for coaches on the table tennis tactics:
- 1992: Tactics (2): establishment of tactics for a match
- 1992: Tactics (3): The tactics of the offensive player
- 1993: Tactics (5): Exercises for offensive players
- 1993: Tactics (6): Exercises for offensive players
- 1994: Tactics (7)
- 1994: Tactics (8)
Berczik ended his coaching career in 1996.
- Zeitschrift Deutscher Tischtennis Sport, 2008/6 S.28
- "Sport Géza - Sport - Elhunyt Berczik Zoltán" (in Hungarian). Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- Hungarian Table Tennis "legend" Zoltan Berczik passed away
- Zeitschrift DTS, 1974/18, S. 16f
- Zeitschrift DTS, 1985/12, S. 45
- Zeitschrift DTS, 1996/10, S. 28