|Initial release||September 25, 2002|
1.30.4 / May 9, 2017
|Written in||C++, Perl and PHP|
|Operating system||Linux, FreeBSD|
ZoneMinder is controlled via web based interface and also provides LiveCD. Application can use standard cameras (via a capture card, USB, Firewire etc.) or IP based camera devices. The software allows three modes of operation: monitoring (without record), recording after detected movement and permanent recording. Supported are multiple cameras, which can be watched at once. Recording starts when the application detects changes between camera frames, it is possible to select zones within field of view that will be ignored. Because of limited hardware driver support on Linux, only selected camera models are guaranteed to work with ZoneMinder. Provided are presets for several cameras for easier configuration. However, relative difficulty of configuration is - along with limited support for other languages than English - counted among ZoneMinder´s weak points. This is underlined by lack of straightforward documentation. It was revealed in 2008 that ZoneMinder contained security loopholes allowing unauthorized remote control of cameras. Basic authentication (eg. .htaccess on Apache) should circumvent such issue.
- Closed-circuit television (CCTV)
- Closed-circuit television camera
- List of free television software
- Motion (comparison with ZoneMinder cpu-wise)
- Release 0.0.1, Wiki - Change History, ZoneMinder
- Kuo, Josh; Brink, Justin (March 17, 2007). "ZoneMinder Digital Surveillance Systems". infoworld.com. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- Bärwaldt, Erik (September 2009). "Videoüberwachung mit Zoneminder Magisches Augeh". LinuxUser (in German). Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- Bothwick, Neil (October 2008). "The Big Question Can I set up video monitoring in Linux?". Linux Format. No. 110. Future plc. p. 112. ISSN 1470-4234.
- Kißling, Kristian (January 2014). "IP-Kameras verwalten, Zoneminder". Linux-Magazin (in German). Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Bachfeld, Daniel (September 3, 2008). "Einbruch in Einbruchserkennung möglich". heise.de (in German). Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- uses more CPU than expected?, thread from October, 2010 ZoneMinder forum
- Official website
- ZoneMinder on GitHub
- "ZoneMinder". Freecode.
- ZoneMinder on SourceForge.net
- Peter Howard: Ubuntu deb package manager
- HowtoForge: ZoneMinder On Ubuntu
- ZoneMinder Viewer: Standalone GUI interface written in Qt
- ZoneMinder Virtual Appliance: Virtual Appliance for VMware
- Zoneminder VM Template for VMware: Virtual Appliance Template for VMware (including ZoneMinder 1.25.0/Ubuntu 12.04.1)