Zonulin syn. Haptoglobin (http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/P00738)[permanent dead link] is a protein that modulates the permeability of tight junctions between cells of the wall of the digestive tract. It was discovered in 2000 by Alessio Fasano and his team at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. As the mammalian analogue of zonula occludens toxin, secreted by cholera pathogen Vibrio cholerae, zonulin has been implicated in the pathogenesis of coeliac disease and diabetes mellitus type 1.
Zonula occludens toxin is being studied as an adjuvant to improve absorption of drugs and vaccines. In 2014 a zonulin receptor antagonist, Larazotide acetate (formerly known as AT-1001), completed a phase 2b clinical trial.
- Vanuytsel, T; et al. (Dec 2013). "The role of Haptoglobin and its related protein, Zonulin, in inflammatory bowel disease". Tissue Barriers. 1 (5): e27321. doi:10.4161/tisb.27321. PMID 24868498.
- Fasano, A (Jan 2011). "Zonulin and its regulation of intestinal barrier function: the biological door to inflammation, autoimmunity, and cancer". Physiol Rev. 91 (1): 151–75. doi:10.1152/physrev.00003.2008. PMID 21248165.
- Lammers, Karen M.; Lu, Ruliang; Brownley, Julie; Lu, Bao; Gerard, Craig; Thomas, Karen; Rallabhandi, Prasad; Shea-Donohue, Terez; Tamiz, Amir (2008-07-01). "Gliadin induces an increase in intestinal permeability and zonulin release by binding to the chemokine receptor CXCR3". Gastroenterology. 135 (1): 194–204.e3. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2008.03.023. ISSN 1528-0012. PMC . PMID 18485912.
- Visser, Jeroen; Rozing, Jan; Sapone, Anna; Lammers, Karen; Fasano, Alessio (2009-05-01). "Tight Junctions, Intestinal Permeability, and Autoimmunity Celiac Disease and Type 1 Diabetes Paradigms". Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1165: 195–205. doi:10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.04037.x. ISSN 0077-8923. PMC . PMID 19538307.
- Fasano, Alessio (2011-01-01). "Zonulin and Its Regulation of Intestinal Barrier Function: The Biological Door to Inflammation, Autoimmunity, and Cancer". Physiological Reviews. 91 (1): 151–175. doi:10.1152/physrev.00003.2008. ISSN 0031-9333. PMID 21248165.
- Lemmer, HJ; Hamman, JH (Jan 2013). "Paracellular drug absorption enhancement through tight junction modulation". Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 10 (1): 103–14. doi:10.1517/17425247.2013.745509. PMID 23163247.
- "Alba Therapeutics announces positive results of phase IIb trial in celiac disease" (Press release). Alba Therapeutics. February 11, 2014.
|This protein-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|