Zoo Aquarium de Madrid
|Land area||over 20 hectares|
|Number of animals||6000|
|Number of species||500|
The Madrid Zoo Aquarium is a 20-hectare (49-acre) zoo and aquarium located in the Casa de Campo in Madrid, Spain. The zoo is owned by the city, but is managed by the international entertainment operator Parques Reunidos. Opened in 1770, it is one of the largest zoos in Spain and one of the few zoos in the world that houses giant pandas.
The first zoo in Madrid was opened in 1770 as the "Casa de Fieras" in Retiro Park, to exhibit animals from the American and Asian provinces, on grounds which still are part of the Parque del Buen Retiro. The new facilities of the Madrid Zoo Aquarium were constructed in 1972 and located in the Casa de Campo.
Its exhibits include the zoo, a petting zoo, an aquarium with 2,000,000 l (530,000 US gal) of salt water, a dolphin exhibit, and an aviary. Facilities include several restaurants, a boat tour, and train tour.
It is home to over 6,000 animals of 500 different species.
In 1978, China presented the King of Spain with two giant pandas, Shao Shao and Quian Quiang. Their cub, Chu-lin, born in 1982, died in 1996. Chu-lin was the first panda born in captivity using artificial insemination in Europe
The zoo is now home to giant pandas Bing Xing (M) and Hua Zui Ba (F), who arrived in Madrid on 8 September 2007. Twin cubs, Po and De De, were born to them on 7 September 2010. They were conceived via artificial insemination.
- "Zoo Aquarium Madrid-Madrid Guide". Retrieved 9 June 2009.
- "EAZA Member Zoos & Aquariums". eaza.net. EAZA. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Zoos and Aquariums of the World". waza.org. WAZA. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Goodzoos: Zoo Aquarium Madrid". Retrieved 9 June 2009.
- "Pandas sent off to Spain". Retrieved 5 May 2009.
- "Pandas at Madrid Zoo". giantpandazoo.com. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- "Twin pandas born at Madrid Zoo". BBC News. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- Agencia EFE. "Alimentación a la carta desde Huelva para koalas del Zoo Aquarium de Madrid" (in Spanish). Cádiz, Spain: LA Voz Digital. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Unknown (2008). "Nace un gorila en el Zoo de Madrid por primera vez en 14 años" (in Spanish). Madrid, Spain: El Mundo. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Redacción La Vanguardia. "Nace un lémur de cola anillada en un zoo de Madrid" (in Spanish). Barcelona: La Vanguardia. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- García Lozano, Fernando (5 April 2011). "Boo el bebé orangután del zoo de Madrid ya tiene padrino" (in Spanish). Madrid: La Razón. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- "Dolphins at Madrid Zoo". Retrieved 25 August 2011.