Zook's Mill Covered Bridge
|Zook's Mill Covered Bridge|
|Locale||Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Official name||Cocalico #7 Bridge|
|Design||single span, double Burr arch truss|
|Total length||89 feet (27.1 m)|
|Constructed by||Henry Zook|
The Zook's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Cocalico Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Cocalico #7 Bridge. The bridge is also known as Wenger Covered Bridge or Rose Hill Covered Bridge. It is located west of Brownstown on T 797, near the Warwick and West Earl Townships.
The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted red with white trim.
The bridge is 74 feet long and 13 feet three inches wide. It has a wooden burr type truss and was built in 1849 by Henry Zook. Unlike many other bridges in the county the bridge withstood Hurricane Agnes, despite being filled with 6-and-a-half feet of water. It is also known as the Wenger Covered Bridge, the Rose Hill Covered Bridge, and the Cocalico #7 Bridge.
The bridge was featured in the 1978 film The Boys from Brazil (film).
- Length: 74 feet (22.6 m) span and 89 feet (27.1 m) total length
- Width: 13 feet 3 inches (4.0 m) clear deck and 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
- Overhead clearance: 11 feet 6 inches (3.5 m)
- Underclearance: 9 feet 6 inches (2.9 m)
- Bickel, Hank (2005-06-23). "Zook's Mill Bridge". Covered Bridges of the Northeast USA. Retrieved 2006-08-04.
- McCain, Dr. Roger A. "Zook's Mill Bridge". A Guide to Old Covered Bridges of Southeastern Pennsylvania and nearby areas. Retrieved 2006-08-04.
- "Zook's Mill Covered Bridge". Lancaster County Pennsylvania Dutch Country Official Visitors Center. Pennsylvania Dutch Convention & Visitors Bureau. 2006. Retrieved 2006-07-07.
- "Zook's Mill Covered Bridge". Lancaster County, PA Government Portal. County of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. 2001-10-30. Retrieved 2006-07-07.
- "PENNSYLVANIA - Lancaster County". National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- Travis, Dale. "38-36-14". Round Barns & Covered Bridges. Retrieved 2006-08-08.