|Produced by||Clark Spencer|
|Music by||Michael Giacchino|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
Zootopia (also known as Zootropolis in other countries) is an upcoming American 3D computer-animated action buddy comedy-adventure film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and the 55th Disney animated feature film. The film is being directed by Byron Howard (who previously co-directed Bolt and Tangled) and Rich Moore (who previously directed Wreck-It Ralph) and starring Ginnifer Goodwin and Jason Bateman. It is scheduled to be released by Walt Disney Pictures on March 4, 2016.
In the animal metropolis of Zootopia, Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin) enlists herself in the Zootopia Police Department. In order to solve the case of a missing otter, she ends up forming an unlikely partnership with con artist Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman).
- Ginnifer Goodwin as Officer Judy Hopps, a rabbit who is a member of the Zootopia Police Department.
- Jason Bateman as Nick Wilde, a red fox who is a small-time con artist.
- Shakira as Gazelle, a gazelle from Sahara Square who is a famous pop star.
- Idris Elba as Chief Bogo, a Cape buffalo who is the chief of the Zootopia Police Department.
- J.K. Simmons as Mayor Leodore Lionheart, a lion who is the Mayor of Zootopia.
- Nate Torrence as Officer Benjamin Clawhauser, a hefty cheetah who is a member of the Zootopia Police Department.
- Jenny Slate as Assistant Mayor Bellwether, a sheep who is the Assistant Mayor of Zootopia.
- Tommy Chong as Yax, an enlightened laid-back Yak.
- Octavia Spencer as Mrs. Otterton, a slender North American river otter.
- Bonnie Hunt as Bonnie Hopps, a rabbit from Bunnyburrow who is the mother of Judy Hopps.
- Don Lake as Stu Hopps, a rabbit from Bunnyburrow who is the father of Judy Hopps and a known carrot farmer.
- Raymond S. Persi as Flash, the "fastest" three-toed sloth in the DMV (Department of Mammal Vehicles).
- Alan Tudyk as Duke Weaselton, a small-time weasel crook from Little Rodentia.
- Tom Lister, Jr. as Finnick, a fennec fox.
- Katie Lowes as Dr. Madge Honey Badger, a honey badger
- Jesse Corti as Manchas, a jaguar who is a chauffeur for Zootopia's biggest limo company
- John DiMaggio as Jerry Jumbeaux Jr., an elephant who owns an elephant ice cream parlor called Jumbeaux's Café
- Peter Mansbridge as Peter Moosebridge, a moose co-anchor of the ZTV News
On August 9, 2013, Disney announced at the D23 Expo that director Byron Howard (Bolt, Tangled) is directing an animals' world comedy-adventure film with a working title Zootopia from Walt Disney Animation Studios. The film is scripted by Jared Bush, is scheduled for a March 2016 release. Jason Bateman was reportedly in talks to voice a character in the film. According to Howard, Zootopia will be different from other animal anthropomorphic films, where animals either live in the natural world or in the human world. The concept, where animals live in a modern world designed by animals, was well received by chief creative officer John Lasseter, who lifted Howard "in the air like a baby Simba" when he proposed the idea for the film.
In March 2015, it was revealed that Rich Moore (Wreck-It Ralph) had been added as a director of the film, in addition to Jared Bush (Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero) as co-director, and that the film's plot had been revised. As announced in 2013, the original plot would have featured a fast-talking fox named Nick Wilde, who goes on the run after being framed for a crime he didn't commit. Zootopia's top cop named Lieutenant Judy Hopps, is hot on his tail, but when both become targets of a conspiracy, they're forced to team up and discover even natural enemies can become best friends.
On May 6, 2015, Jason Bateman and Ginnifer Goodwin had been respectively cast as Nick Wilde and Lieutenant Judy Hopps in the film. The filmmakers chose Bateman because they wanted an actor who could bring "a funny yet heartfelt side" with "a wily, dry-witted sort of voice." Bateman described his character as "a crafty, sarcastic schemer," remarking similarity to many of his roles he was doing since he was 12. "I foolishly said, 'What kind of voice do you guys want me to do?' And they just looked at me like I was an idiot and said, 'Just do what you do. Just talk.'" Commenting on Goodwin's pick, Moore said that she brought "very centered sweetness, tremendous heart and a great sense of humor," describing her character as "a little Pollyanna mixed with Furiosa." Goodwin viewed her character as a little emotional at times, but not as someone who should be underestimated. "People mistake kindness for naivete or stupidity, and she is a good girl through and through. But she's not a dumb bunny." In July 2015, Alan Tudyk has announced that he would join the cast; his character's name was revealed to be Duke Weaselton.
The film's score is being composed by Pixar composer Michael Giacchino. It will mark his first feature-length project for Walt Disney Animation Studios, as he previously scored the Goofy short How to Hook Up Your Home Theater, the two Prep & Landing specials and short film, and the short film The Ballad of Nessie for that company. In addition to her voice role of Gazelle, pop star Shakira will also contribute an original song to the film titled "Try Everything", which will be written by Sia and Stargate. The film's score was recorded with an 80-piece orchestra in November 2015, with Tim Simonec conducting.
Zootopia will be released on March 4, 2016 in the United States.
A second teaser trailer was released online again at Walt Disney Animation Studios' YouTube page on November 23, 2015, featuring a sequence of the film where the main characters encounter a Department of Motor Vehicles run entirely by sloths.
- "Welcome to Zootopia at D23 EXPO!". D23. August 15, 2015. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Truitt, Brian (November 16, 2015). "Michael Giacchino to score Disney's 'Zootopia'". USA Today. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- Rosser, Stephen (March 11, 2015). "Disney's 'Zootopia' renamed 'Zootropolis' for UK". ScreenDaily (Screen International). Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- White, James (March 11, 2014). "Disney's Zootopia Is Now Zootropolis". Empire (Bauer Media Group). Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- McNary, Dave (June 11, 2015). "Watch: Disney's ‘Zootopia’ Trailer Introduces Animal-Run World". Zootopia. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Yamato, Jen (November 10, 2014). "Disney Dates 2016 Animated Pics ‘Zootopia’ & ‘Moana’". deadline.com. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Kit, Borys (May 6, 2015). "Ginnifer Goodwin Joins Jason Bateman in Disney Animation's 'Zootopia' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter (The Hollywood Reporter). Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (May 3, 2013). "Disney, 'Tangled' Director Plot New Animated Feature With Jason Bateman (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- Kit, Borys (August 14, 2015). "Shakira Joins Voice Cast of Disney Animation's 'Zootopia'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- Pedersen, Erik (October 26, 2015). "Disney’s ‘Zootopia’ Cages Idris Elba, J.K. Simmons, Octavia Spencer & Others". Deadline. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- "Peter Mansbridge voices moose in Disney film 'Zootopia'". Toronto Sun. The Canadian Press. November 13, 2015. Retrieved November 14, 2015.
- King, Darryn (April 30, 2015). "Annecy Will Host Genndy Tartakovsky, Masaaki Yuasa, ‘Zootopia’ Directors, Richard Williams". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- Graser, Marc (August 9, 2013). "D23 Expo: Disney Reveals Animated ‘Zootopia’ for 2016". Variety. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Kilday, Gregg (December 4, 2013). "Pixar vs. Disney Animation: John Lasseter's Tricky Tug-of-War". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Bahr, Lindsey (August 9, 2013). "Disney Animation preview: 'Frozen,' 'Big Hero 6,' at Disney's D23, Plus 'Zootopia' announced". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- "Walt Disney Animation Studios Reveals New Zootopia Concept Art". ComingSoon.net (CraveOnline). March 3, 2015. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Truitt, Brian (June 9, 2015). "Sneak peek: 'Zootopia' pairs unlikely pals". USA Today. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Goldberg, Matt (July 9, 2015). "Alan Tudyk Confirms Voice Roles in ZOOTOPIA and MOANA". Collider.com. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "This News Don't Lie: Shakira is Coming to a Disney Movie Near You". Disney Playlist. August 14, 2015. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- Walt Disney Animation Studio, "Zootopia US Teaser Trailer"
- Walt Disney Animation Studio, "Zootopia Official US Sloth Trailer"