|Directed by||Byron Howard
|Produced by||Clark Spencer|
|Screenplay by||Jared Bush
|Story by||Byron Howard
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
Zootopia (also known as Zootropolis in the United Kingdom and other countries) is an upcoming American 3D computer-animated comedy-adventure film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and the 55th film in Disney's animated features canon. The film is being directed by Byron Howard, who previously co-directed Bolt and Tangled, and Rich Moore, who previously directed Wreck-It Ralph. It is scheduled to be released by Walt Disney Pictures on March 4, 2016.
The modern mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a city like no other. Composed of habitat neighborhoods such as ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown, it's a melting pot where animals from every environment live together — a place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when optimistic Officer Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin) arrives, she discovers that being the first bunny on a police force of big, tough animals is so difficult. Determined to prove herself, she jumps at the opportunity to crack a case, even if it means partnering with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman), to solve the mystery.
- Jason Bateman as Nick Wilde
- Ginnifer Goodwin as Lieutenant Judy Hopps
- Shakira as Gazelle
- Alan Tudyk as TBA
- Katie Lowes as TBA
On August 9, 2013, Disney announced at the D23 Expo that director Byron Howard (Bolt, Tangled) is directing an animals' world comedy-adventure film with a working title Zootopia from Walt Disney Animation Studios. The film is scripted by Jared Bush, is scheduled for a March 2016 release. Jason Bateman was reportedly in talks to voice a character in the film. According to Howard, Zootopia will be different from other animal anthropomorphic films, where animals either live in the natural world or in the human world. The concept, where animals live in a modern world designed by animals, was well received by chief creative officer John Lasseter, who lifted Howard "in the air like a baby Simba," when he proposed the idea for the film.
In March 2015, it was revealed that Rich Moore (Wreck-It Ralph) had been added as a director of the film, in addition to Jared Bush (Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero) as co-director, and that the film's plot had been revised. As announced in 2013, the original plot would have featured a fast-talking fox named Nick Wilde, who goes on the run after being framed for a crime he didn't commit. Zootopia's top cop named Lieutenant Judy Hopps, is hot on his tail, but when both become targets of a conspiracy, they're forced to team up and discover even natural enemies can become best friends.
On May 6, 2015, Bateman and Ginnifer Goodwin had been respectively cast as Nick Wilde and Lieutenant Judy Hopps in the film. The filmmakers chose Bateman because they wanted an actor who could bring "a funny yet heartfelt side" with "a wily, dry-witted sort of voice." Bateman described his character as "a crafty, sarcastic schemer," remarking similarity to many of his roles he was doing since he was 12. "I foolishly said, 'What kind of voice do you guys want me to do?' And they just looked at me like I was an idiot and said, 'Just do what you do. Just talk.'" Commenting on Goodwin's pick, Moore said that she brought "very centered sweetness, tremendous heart and a great sense of humor," describing her character as "a little Pollyanna mixed with Furiosa." Goodwin viewed her character as a little emotional at times, but not as someone who should be underestimated. "People mistake kindness for naivete or stupidity, and she is a good girl through and through. But she's not a dumb bunny."
Zootopia will be released on March 4, 2016 in the United States.
- "Welcome to Zootopia at D23 EXPO!". D23. August 15, 2015. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- Rosser, Stephen (11 March 2015). "Disney's 'Zootopia' renamed 'Zootropolis' for UK". ScreenDaily (Screen International). Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- White, James (11 March 2014). "Disney's Zootopia Is Now Zootropolis". Empire (Bauer Media Group). Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- McNary, Dave (June 11, 2015). "Watch: Disney's ‘Zootopia’ Trailer Introduces Animal-Run World". Zootopia. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Yamato, Jen (November 10, 2014). "Disney Dates 2016 Animated Pics ‘Zootopia’ & ‘Moana’". deadline.com. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Kit, Borys (May 3, 2013). "Disney, 'Tangled' Director Plot New Animated Feature With Jason Bateman (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- Kit, Borys (May 6, 2015). "Ginnifer Goodwin Joins Jason Bateman in Disney Animation's 'Zootopia' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter (The Hollywood Reporter). Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (August 14, 2015). "Shakira Joins Voice Cast of Disney Animation's 'Zootopia'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- King, Darryn (April 30, 2015). "Annecy Will Host Genndy Tartakovsky, Masaaki Yuasa, ‘Zootopia’ Directors, Richard Williams". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- Graser, Marc (9 August 2013). "D23 Expo: Disney Reveals Animated ‘Zootopia’ for 2016". Variety. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- Kilday, Gregg (December 4, 2013). "Pixar vs. Disney Animation: John Lasseter's Tricky Tug-of-War". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Bahr, Lindsey (9 August 2013). "Disney Animation preview: 'Frozen,' 'Big Hero 6,' at Disney's D23, Plus 'Zootopia' announced". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Walt Disney Animation Studios Reveals New Zootopia Concept Art". ComingSoon.net (CraveOnline). March 3, 2015. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Truitt, Brian (June 9, 2015). "Sneak peek: 'Zootopia' pairs unlikely pals". USA Today. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "This News Don't Lie: Shakira is Coming to a Disney Movie Near You". Disney Playlist. August 14, 2015. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- Walt Disney Animation Studio, "Zootopia US Teaser Trailer"