Zorg en Hoop Airport
|Zorg en Hoop Airport|
|Elevation AMSL||10 ft / 3 m|
Zorg en Hoop Airport (IATA: ORG, ICAO: SMZO) is an airport serving general aviation in the city of Paramaribo, Suriname. It is 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) west of the Suriname River, between the city quarters of Zorg en Hoop and Flora.
The runway length includes a 215 metres (705 ft) displaced threshold on Runway 11. The airport is suitable for charters and regular services with smaller aircraft, and for helicopter flights. Connection is maintained from the airport for several smaller airports in the interior of Suriname, and for charter flights to the Caribbean. The only regular international service is to Georgetown, Guyana with flights operated by Trans Guyana Airways and Gum Air with smaller propeller aircraft.
In October 1952, the airport was put into use when Ronald Kappel and Herman van Eyck started a first Surinamese air company. The first flight was made with a Stinson Reliant airplane with registration PZ-TAA (MSN 77-167) of the company Kappel-van Eyck. In November 1952 this company built the first hangar at Zorg en Hoop airfield and added a second Stinson Reliant (PZ-TAB) to their fleet. In the summer of 1953 Zorg en Hoop Airport was used to develop many airstrips in the interior. The first mail delivery and passenger flights in Suriname were made from Zorg en Hoop to Moengo on 22 August 1953 and to Coronie on September 28th. Later also to Nickerie and Albina with the new Piper Cub (PZ-NAC) of Kappel-van Eyck named "Colibri".
Airlines and destinations
|Aero Club Suriname (ACS)||Aero Club, General aviation & pilot training|
|Caricom Airways Flight Academy (CAFA)||Flight school, sightseeing flights and pilot training flights|
|Hi-Jet Helicopter Services||EMS, charters|
|Kuyake Aviation Academy part of Caricom Airways Flight Academy||Pilot training flights|
|Overeem Air Service (OAS)||Charter flights and crop dusting|
|Pegasus Air Services (PAS)||Helicopter charter and training flights|
|Suriname Air Force / (Surinaamse Luchtmacht) (SAF)||Military missions|
|Surinaamse Medische Zendings Vliegdienst / Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF)||Medical services|
|Vortex Aviation Suriname (VAS)||General aviation maintenance and pilot training flights|
- Airport information for Zorg en Hoop Airport at Great Circle Mapper.
- Google Maps - Zorg en Hoop
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 22, 2013. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Caricom Airways - Our Companies". Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Super User. "Gum Air - Destinations". Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Trans Guyana Airways -". Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Stretsh Hosting - Account Suspended". Archived from the original on December 19, 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 11, 2010. Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- "Pegasus". Retrieved 6 June 2015.