This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Privately held company|
Dharmveer Singh Chouhan
Chetan Singh Chauhan
|Headquarters||37 Arjun Marg, DLF Phase 1,|
|Indian subcontinent; mainly India and Nepal|
Zostel Hospitality Pvt. Ltd was established in August 2013, by seven co-founders Akhil Malik, Dharmveer Singh Chouhan, Paavan Nanda & Tarun Tiwari alumni of Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, Chetan Singh Chauhan and Abhishek Bhutra alumni of Indian Institute of Technology, BHU and Siddharth Janghu alumnus of MDI Gurgaon. Having started the first Zostel in Jodhpur, Rajasthan on 15 August 2013, the founders started off by winning 14 back to back business plan competitions across the world including WIEF, Richard Ivey and Eureka at IIT Bombay.
The founders of Zostel further dived into a new project known as ZO Rooms in November 2014, which was a low-budget, technology-driven hotel chain. There were reports that ZO Rooms was acquired by rival OYO Rooms, in an all-stock deal in December 2015, which was later denied by OYO. Towards the end of 2015, ZO Rooms operated more than 750 hotels across 51 cities in India.
Zostel operates 34 hostels in India and 2 hostels in Nepal:
- Sehgal, Kunal. "India's first chain of backpacker hostels is attracting some serious money". Quartz. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "IIM, IIT students set up Zostel for backpackers". The Hindu Business Line. February 9, 2014. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "Zostel: Live it. Now: India's first branded Hostel Chain". www.zostel.com. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Bureau, Our (February 9, 2014). "IIM, IIT students set up Zostel for backpackers". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "IIM-Calcutta students set up backpackers' hostels in Rajasthan". www.hindustantimes.com/. February 14, 2014. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "Why these IIM-Calcutta grads do not want placements". NDTV.com. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Ghoshal, Somak (September 6, 2014). "Zostel: Passion for travel". www.livemint.com/. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "Zostel: Make your trip affordable with India's first backpackers' hostel". The Indian Express. May 27, 2015. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Singh, Rajiv (October 4, 2015). "Virtues of a large founding team: Why many digital ventures are starting up with many cofounders". The Economic Times. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "The curious case of Oyo's Zo buyout - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "The Oyo-Zo Rooms Acquisition Deal Is Falling Apart - Inc42 Media". inc42.com. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "The deal that never was: OYO says it didn't acquire rival ZO Rooms after all - Tech Crunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved May 29, 2018.