This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
the market square, the town hall, the former deanery and Lamoral Count of Egmont's statue
|• Mayor||Jenne De Potter (CD&V)|
|• Governing party/ies||CD&V, N-VA|
|• Total||56.66 km2 (21.88 sq mi)|
|• Density||470/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
Zottegem (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈzɔtəɣɛm], Sotteghem and Sottegem in older English and French language sources) is a municipality located in Belgium and more particularly in Flanders, in the province of East Flanders. The municipality comprises the town of Zottegem proper and the villages of Elene, Erwetegem, Godveerdegem, Grotenberge, Leeuwergem, Oombergen, Sint-Goriks-Oudenhove, Sint-Maria-Oudenhove, Strijpen and Velzeke-Ruddershove. On January 1, 2018, Zottegem had a total population of 26,373. The total area is 56.66 km² which gives a population density of 470 inhabitants per km².
Zottegem is part of the hilly geographical area of the Flemish Ardennes (Vlaamse Ardennen); the hills and cobblestone streets (Paddestraat) are regular locations in the springtime cycle classics of Flanders. The city is known for its ties with Lamoral, Count of Egmont; Lamoral has a castle (Egmontkasteel), a museum (Egmontkamer) and two statues in the centre of Zottegem. He is buried in a crypt (Egmontcrypte) under the church. Leeuwergem castle in Elene is an 18th-century stately home; Breivelde castle in Grotenberge is surrounded by an English landscape garden. The archaeological museum in Velzeke exhibits findings from Gallo-Roman culture.
Places of interest
- Urbain Braems, football player and manager, lives in Zottegem
- Bart De Clercq, cyclist
- Patricia de Martelaere (b. in Zottegem), writer
- Anne De Paepe, former rector of Ghent University
- Jessy De Smet, singer
- Lamoral, Count of Egmont, general and statesman, is buried in Zottegem
- Tim Matthys, football player, lives in Zottegem
- Laurent Merchiers, politician
- Lyne Renée (b. in Zottegem), actress
- Paul Van Cauwenberge, former rector of Ghent University
- Magali Uytterhaegen (b. in Zottegem), actress (The curiosity of Chance)
- "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Media related to Zottegem at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website - Information available in Dutch and limited information available in English, French and German
|This East Flanders location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|