Z (TV channel)
|Launched||January 31, 2000 (19 years ago)|
|Owned by||Bell Media|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV) |
|Formerly called||Canal Z (2000–2005)|
|Website||Z (in French)|
|Bell TV||Channel 131 (SD)|
Channel 1858 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 754 (SD)|
Channel 385 / 241 (HD)
|Available on many |
|Check local listings|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 873 (SD)|
Channel 973 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 121 (SD)|
Channel 1121 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 424 (SD)|
|Optik TV||Channel 8019 (SD)|
Channel 2019 (HD)
|Telus Quebec||Channel 45 (SD)|
Channel 645 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 121 (HD) (QC)|
|Zazeen||Channel 204 (HD)|
Z is a Canadian French language discretionary service owned by Bell Media. Z focuses on programming primarily from the science fiction, fantasy, and technology genres consisting of dramas, films, and documentaries.
In May 1999, Radiomutuel Inc. was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a television broadcasting licence for a channel called Canal Z, aux limites du savoir, described as "a national French-language television specialty service that is dedicated entirely to science and technology, the earth and its secrets, space exploration, the paranormal and science fiction, lifestyles and computer science."
The channel launched on January 31, 2000 as Canal Z (often referred to as simply Z). The channel was renamed Ztélé in 2005 and a new logo was introduced. In 2006, an HD feed debuted.
Astral Media was acquired by Bell Media on July 5, 2013, making Ztélé a sister channel to the English-language science-fiction channel Space, while retaining its other sister stations.
As of August 25, 2014, the channel has been renamed Z.
- Osez "Translation of Official Slogan from French-Language Canadian Science Fiction & Technology Television Channel Z by Google Translate". Google Translate.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (21 May 1999). "ARCHIVED - Decision CRTC 99-110, Summary". www.crtc.gc.ca.
- "Astral bids on Radiomutuel". playbackonline.ca.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "ARCHIVED - Summary - Transfer of effective control from Radiomutuel inc. to Astral Communications inc". www.crtc.gc.ca.
- "Astral integrates Radiomutuel TV". playbackonline.ca.
- "Bell Media - Details". bellmediapr.ca.
- "La haute définition en français". Infopresse. 30 October 2006.
- Official website (in French)