Zuni Café was established in 1979 by Billy West. In 1981 he hired Vince Calcagno as the manager, who became a business partner in 1987. West and Calcagno hired Judy Rodgers (formerly of Chez Panisse) as head chef in 1987. West died on July 1, 1994; Calcagno and Rodgers went on to become co-owners.
Zuni Cafe, with Rodgers at the helm, won the James Beard Foundation Award for 'Best Chef: Pacific' in 2000, 'Outstanding Restaurant' in 2003, and 'Outstanding Chef' in 2004. In 2018, the restaurant received the James Beard Award for Outstanding Service.
- "History :: Zuni :: San Francisco". zunicafe.com.
- Michael Bauer (2009-02-11). "1979: A classic year for San Francisco dining". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2019-11-22.
- James Beard Foundation website retrieved 22 October 2015
- "James Beard winners: Grgich, Crenn, B. Patisserie, Zuni Cafe". The Mercury News. 2018-05-08. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "Judy Rodgers, Chef of Refined Simplicity, Dies at 57". nytimes.com. Dec 3, 2013.
- Official Zuni Café website
- Open Table.com listing for Zuni Café
- SF Weekly listing for Zuni Café
- "A New Owner for Zuni Cafe" October 6, 2006, Michael Bauer, San Francisco Chronicle