Zurich Film Festival
The festival's main focus is to promote emerging filmmakers from all over the world. In three competition categories only first, second or third directoral works are admitted. There are three competition sections: International Feature Film, International Documentary Film and 'Focus: Switzerland, Germany and Austria' which focuses on these three production countries.
Several industry events take place in the framework of the festival, such as the ZFF Master Class or the international Zurich Summit, which have rendered the film festival an international platform for the film industry.
The ZFF is co-organized by the Zurich Film Festival AG, which is a member of the NZZ Mediengruppe, and the Spoundation Motion Picture AG, a marketing and event management company, in cooperation with local institutions, sponsors as well as national and international distributors and producers.
Nadja Schildknecht, Karl Spoerri and Antoine Monot Jr. founded the festival back in 2005. Until 2020 the festival was co-directed by Nadja Schildknecht (managing director) and Karl Spoerri (artistic director). The current artistic director is Christian Jungen, the managing director is Elke Mayer.
Following the reduced attendance numbers in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, films shown at the 17th annual festival (held from September 23 to October 3, 2021) were shown with full seating capacity through enforcement of the "3G rule" (vaccinated, recovered, or tested) before each screening. As in 2019, more than 100,000 visitors attended the screenings. The festival featured 164 films from 53 countries.
- Bühler, Urs (11 September 2009). "Der Duft der grossen weiten Kinowelt". Neue Zürcher Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- Mathias Ohanian (24 September 2014). "Zurich Film Festival: Von Null auf 100 in zehn Jahren". Handelszeitung (in German). Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- Bühler, Urs (4 April 2019). "'Christian Jungen wird künstlerischer Leiter beim Zurich Film Festival". nzz.ch (in Swiss High German). Retrieved 5 October 2021.
- "Das ist das neue Gesicht des Zurich Film Festival". tagesanzeiger.ch (in Swiss High German). 25 July 2019. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Bühler, Urs (3 October 2021). "Das 17. ZFF zeigt: Der Hunger nach Kino im Gross- statt im Taschenformat ist noch längst nicht gestillt". NZZ (in Swiss High German). Retrieved 5 October 2021.