Zvartnots International Airport
|Zvartnots International Airport|
Զվարթնոց Միջազգային Oդանավակայան
Zvartnots International Airport
|Owner||General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia|
|Operator||Armenia International Airports CJSC|
|Hub for||Armenia Aircompany|
|Elevation AMSL||2,838 ft / 865 m|
Zvartnots International Airport (Armenian: Զվարթնոց միջազգային օդանավակայան), (IATA: EVN, ICAO: UDYZ) is located near Zvartnots, 15 km (9.3 mi) west of Yerevan, the capital city of Armenia. It acts as the main international airport of Armenia and is Yerevan's main international transport hub. It is the busiest airport in the country.
The airport was opened in 1961, and following a design competition held in 1970, M. Khachikyan, A. Tarkhanyan, S. Qalashyan, L. Cherkezyan and M. Baghdasaryan won the right to design the first terminal building. The airport was renovated in the 1980s with the development of a new terminal area, in order to meet domestic traffic demands within the Soviet Union.
When Armenia declared its independence from the Soviet Union in the 1990s, the growth of cargo shipments resulted in the construction of a new cargo terminal in 1998 that can handle about 100,000 tonnes of cargo annually. In 2001, a 30-year concession agreement for the management of operations at the airport was signed with Armenia International Airports CJSC, owned by Argentine company Corporación America, which is in turn owned by Armenian Argentine businessman Eduardo Eurnekian. As part of that agreement, Armenia International Airports CJSC renovated the runway, main taxiways and ramp. In 2006, a new gate area and arrivals hall opened, followed by an overall improvement of the airport's fire services, including replacing the entire fire-fighting fleet with new vehicles. A new departures and arrivals terminal, car-parking facility with a capacity of 600 vehicles and a government delegation terminal all opened in 2011. On 30 January 2013, Zvartnots airport was named "Best Airport In The CIS" during the Emerging Markets Airports Award (EMAA) ceremonies held in Dubai, UAE.
The airport is able to accept aircraft up to and including the Antonov An-225, Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A380. Runway 09 is equipped with an ILS CAT II, which enables aircraft operations in low ceiling (30 meters) and visibility (350 metres).
Zvartnots International Airport recently implemented a new flight information display system (FIDS), a new automated and biometric-identification system for baggage check-in and passenger control, as well as the installation of 150 surveillance cameras across airport premises. The access to the boarding area is highly secured with 3 steps, a pre-control, a passport control, and X-ray control. The airport features a Dufry duty-free shop after security, as well as the Converse Bank business class lounge, with a view overlooking the gate area and apron.
Airlines and Destinations
Traffic and statistics
|Total passenger traffic||1,111,400||1,125,698||1,387,002||1,480,000||1,447,397||1,612,016||1,600,891||1,691,815||1,691,710||2,045,058||1,879,667||2,105,540||2,448,250|
|Departing passenger traffic||546,000||562,825||698,614||751,310||729,835||816,866||807,953||845,700||830,000||1,019,765||944,373||1,048,153||1,218,340|
|Arriving passenger traffic||547,400||562,873||688,388||628,690||717,562||795,150||792,944||846,115||861,710||1,025,293||935,294||1,057,387||1,229,910|
|Total freight (tons)||9,119||9,276||10,004||10,774||8,400||8,800||10,014||12,251||10,361||10,345||10,123||18,269||22,324|
|Exported freight (tons)||3,701||4,080||3,515||4,000||3,100||3,300||4,741||6,687||6,109||6,450||6,607||13,784||16,983|
|Imported freight (tons)||5,418||5,196||6,489||6,700||5,200||5,500||5,273||5,564||4,252||3,895||3,516||4,485||5,341|
|Aircraft movements (departure and landing)||6,897||6,746||7,953||8,624||8,699||9,783||9,858||10,392||8,721||10,409||9,012||9,266||10,621|
There is an official airport taxi service serving Zvartnots Airport to any direction or vice versa. It does not provide intracity service.
In 2017, a new bus service was started, conducting regular round trips between Zvartnots airport and downtown Yerevan. A bus leaves every half hour between 7 AM and 10 PM, and every hour between 10:30 PM and 7 AM. Operated by Elitebus, a one-way fare costs 300 dram and the bus makes stops in downtown Yerevan where passengers can board or disembark at Yeritasardakan Metro, the Abovyan and Sayat-Nova street intersection, Republic Square Amiryan Street, and Mashtots Avenue.
- "EAD Basic - Error Page". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "About us - Zvartnots". Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- administrator. "Airports". Archived from the original on 27 June 2015. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Armenia's Zvartnots named best airport in CIS". PanARMENIAN.Net. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Armats.am – Aerodrome ground Movement and Aircraft Parking Chart" (PDF). Armats.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 April 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Airport website – Handles any type of modern commercial aircraft Archived 10 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "armats". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Flight ticket booking". online-english.mouzenidis-travel.ru.
- "Ամռանն ընդառաջ մի շարք ուղղություններով ոչ կանոնավոր չվերթներ կիրականացվեն".
- Liu, Jim (10 October 2018). "Azimuth adds Armenia service from Oct 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- ""Azimut" Airlines launches sale of tickets from Rostov to Yerevan".
- "Brussels Airlines sets sail for Armenia in 2017".
- chamwings.com - Where we fly retrieved 9 September 2018
- "EGYPTAIR plans Armenia charters in S18". routesonline.com. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "LOT Polish Airlines Restores 4 Cancelled Routes from Jan 2016 :: Routesonline". Airlineroute.net. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- Liu, Jim (2 March 2018). "Red Wings plans Armenia launch from March 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- Bobon, Gabriel (26 September 2018). "TAROM a pus în vânzare biletele pentru zborurile București – Baku și București – Erevan – BoardingPass.ro". boardingpass.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Liu, Jim (6 September 2018). "Ural Airlines schedules new routes in W18". Routesonline. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Базовый перевозчик Внуково авиакомпания "ЮТэйр" анонсирует планы на весенне-летний сезон". Corp.vnukovo.ru. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- Liu, Jim (24 April 2018). "UTair adds seasonal Surgut routes from June 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia – 2005–2006 Statistics Archived 31 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia – 2006–2007 Statistics Archived 31 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- 2008 Statistics for Zvartnots airport[permanent dead link] Dead link
- "Overall passenger transportation via Zvartnots airport reached 1.6mln in 2010". PanARMENIAN.Net. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Zvartnots Airport serviced over 1,6 million passengers in 2011". PanARMENIAN.Net. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Zvartnots Airport posts passenger traffic of 1,7 mln in 2012". PanARMENIAN.Net. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- administrator. "Statistics 2013-2014". Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia – 2014–2015 Statistics Archived 26 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Վիճակագրություն". Aviation.am. Archived from the original on 26 January 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Armenian airports see 20.6% growth in passenger traffic in 2017". panorama.am. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- "Yerevan: New Schedule for Zvartnots Airport Express Bus - Hetq - News, Articles, Investigations". Retrieved 2018-01-13.
Media related to Zvartnots International Airport at Wikimedia Commons