|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This engine may have had other applications, but due to its extreme weight (5,400 kg (11,900 lb)), it would have been limited to ground or naval applications.
A German tractor pulling team designed a vehicle, named "Dragon Fire", around a methanol-fueled version of this engine; this modified engine is said to weigh 3,200 kg (7,100 lb) including the gearbox, for use in the 5.4 ton tractor pulling class, making 8,000 hp (6,000 kW) at 2,500 rpm.
Specifications (Zvezda M503A)
- Type: 42-cylinder Liquid cooled 7 bank, 6 cylinder per bank diesel radial engine
- Bore: 160 millimetres (6.3 in)
- Stroke: 170 millimetres (6.7 in)
- Displacement: 143.6 litres (8,760 cu in) (8,763 in³)
- Length: 3,700 millimetres (150 in) (145.66 in)
- Diameter: 1,560 millimetres (61 in) (61.41 in)
- Dry weight: 5,450 kilograms (12,020 lb) (12,015 lb) (dry)
- Valvetrain: 7 overhead cam shafts, one per bank.
- Fuel type: Diesel fuel
- Cooling system: Liquid-cooled
- Power output: 3,942 bhp (2,940 kW, 3,997 PS) at 2,200 rpm
- Specific power: 20.47 kilowatts per litre (0.450 hp/in3)
- Power-to-weight ratio: 0.53 kilowatts per kilogram (0.32 hp/lb)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zvezda M503.|
Translated from : German Wikipedia