|4th Mayor of Ramat Gan|
February 28, 1989 – December 22, 2013
|Preceded by||Uri Amit|
|Succeeded by||Yisrael Zinger|
October 8, 1935 |
Kfar Yona, Mandatory Palestine
|Years of service||1953-1987|
|Battles/wars||Six Day War|
Born in Kfar Yona during the Mandate era, Bar commanded Paratrooper Battalion 202 during the Six-Day War. He later commanded the Israeli Defense Forces' School of Officer Training. During the mid-1970s, he commanded a reservists' brigade. He later became the commander of the Israel Border Police from 1984 till 1987. In 1976, he earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Bar-Ilan University.
Bar was first elected mayor of the Ramat Gan in 1989. He came to the Israeli public's attention, and garnered approval and support, because of his leadership and morale-building when Ramat Gan was subjected to Iraqi Scud missiles during the Desert Storm operation.
Bar has been re-elected as in four consecutive elections – in 1993, 1998, 2003, and 2008.
In 2004, Bar was questioned by the Israeli Police on allegations that he and mayor of neighboring Tel Aviv Ron Huldai engaged in corruption. In April 2011 the Ministry of Justice decided to indict Bar, along with five other real estate developers, for bribery and money laundering. In June 2015, Bar was sentenced to 5.5 years in prison.
- Friedman, Ron (26 April 2011). "Ramat Gan mayor to be indicted on corruption charges". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
Bar (76) was first elected mayor in 1989 and since then was elected again in 1993,1998, 2003 and 2008.
- Yitzhak, Yoav (13 June 2004). "Police to recruit state witnesses against TA, Ramat Gan mayors". Globes. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- Yoaz, Yuval (26 April 2011). "Ramat Gan mayor to be indicted for bribery". Globes. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
The charges against Bar relate to incidents in 2003-08. According to evidence held by the State Prosecutor, Bar accepted bribes from five real estate developers in four different cases to promote the projects, as well as money laundering. One of the developers is also accused of forgery and obstruction of justice. The Ministry of Justice said that the decision to indict Bar and the five developers followed a complex and widespread investigation by the Israel Police National Fraud Unit headed by Superintendent Yael Harel.
- Sternman, Adiv (4 Jun 2015). "Former Ramat Gan mayor sentenced to 5.5 years in prison". Times of Israel. Retrieved 17 Nov 2015.
- Zvi Bar Ramat Gan Municipality
|Mayor of Ramat Gan
|This article about a mayor in Israel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|