Gitleman received a Ph.D. and an M.A. degree from Columbia University. He has usually written about the connection of ethnicity and politics especially in former Communist countries. He has also written about Israeli politics, East European politics, as well as Jewish political attitude.
- Jewish Nationality and Soviet Politics (1972)
- Becoming Israelis: Political Resocialization of Soviet and American Immigrants (1982)
- A Century of Ambivalence: the Jews of Russia and the Soviet Union, 1881 to the Present (1988; 2001)
- Bitter Legacy: Confronting the Holocaust in the USSR (1997)
- A Century of Ambivalence: The Jews of Russia and the Soviet Union, 1881 to the Present (2001)
- Jewish Life after the USSR (2003)
- CEU Jewish Studies - Bruno Bitter, Nextwave Interactive Bt. (2013-06-16). "Jewish Studies Program, Central European University: About". Web.ceu.hu. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- Fellow Professor Zvi Gitelman — United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- "People | Political Science | University of Michigan". Lsa.umich.edu. Retrieved 2014-04-11.