13 November 1926|
Prijepolje, Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes
|Died||17 February 2001
|Service/branch|| SFR Yugoslav Air Force
|Rank||Staff General (stožerni general)|
|Commands held||General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Croatia|
|Awards||Grand Order of King Petar Krešimir IV
Order of Duke Domagoj
Order of Ban Jelačić
|Other work||Member of Parliament|
Zvonimir Červenko (13 November 1926 – 17 February 2001) was a Croatian general and the chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Croatia from 1995-96.
Croatian War of Independence
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
At the beginning of the Croatian War of Independence, Franjo Tuđman, president of the Republic of Croatia offered him the position of the minister of defence, but Červenko refused saying "I'm a soldier, not politician". He organized the defence of Zagreb, the blockade of enemy barracks, and started the process of forming 14 brigades in Zagreb. In January 1992, Červenko became the commander of Croatian Home Guard (Domobranstvo), becoming deputy of chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Croatia.
The top of his military career came just before the Operation Storm, when he succeeded Janko Bobetko in the position of Chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Croatia. He served as Chief of General Staff from 15 July 1995 until 16 November 1996. During his command, the Croatian Army executed the most successful operation of the war, Operation Storm. President Tuđman replaced him in November 1996.[clarification needed] He later became a member of the Chamber of Counties of the Croatian Parliament (Sabor) on the electoral list of the Croatian Democratic Union. Beginning in 2000 he served as a member of the Amnesty Commission.
- Grand Order of King Petar Krešimir IV,
- Order of Duke Domagoj,
- Order of Ban Jelačić,
- Order of the Croatian Trefoil,
- Order of the Croatian Interlace,
- Commemorative Medal of the Homeland War,
- Medal for Participation in Operation "Flash"
- Medal for Participation in Operation "Summer '95"
- Medal for Participation in Operation "Storm"
- "Vremeplov - Umro general Červenko". Hrvatski vojnik #175 (in Croatian). February 2008. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "Posljednji ispraćaj generala Zvonimira Červenka" (in Croatian). Croatian Radiotelevision. 21 February 2001. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Odluka kojom se odlikuju redom kneza Domagoja s ogrlicom" (in Croatian). Narodne novine. 26 May 1995. Retrieved 25 July 2016.