Harbour of Genemuiden
Location in Overijssel
|Established||1 January 2001|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Eddy Bilder (CDA)|
|• Total||87.86 km2 (33.92 sq mi)|
|• Land||82.69 km2 (31.93 sq mi)|
|• Water||5.17 km2 (2.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||268/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
This mainly rural municipality lies south of Steenwijkerland on the Zwarte Water (Black Water). This is a short tributary of the river IJssel from Zwolle to the Zwarte Meer (Black Lake). This lake was before 1931 a part of the Zuiderzee. The Vecht also flows into the Zwarte Water. Hasselt lies about 5 km (3.1 mi) north of Zwolle.
Genemuiden and Zwartsluis lie 5 km further north, almost opposite one another, near the Zwarte Water. Aquatic sport tourism is important to the local economy.
The most important places are printed in bold type.
- De Velde
- Genemuiden (population on 1 January 2007: 9,985)
- Hasselt, Overijssel, Netherlands (pop. 6,963)
- Kamperzeedijk-Oost and Kamperzeedijk-West
- Zwartsluis (pop. 4,810).
- A small part of the wetland area and National Park "De Wieden" (see Steenwijkerland) lies here, immediately north of Zwartsluis
- Genemuiden has a big yacht basin, Zwartsluis a smaller one.
- The centre of Hasselt is picturesque, with a town hall built between 1550 and 1615 and several old houses (1650-1800).
- Saint Stephen's Church in the centre of Hasselt is interesting. This church, Late Gothic, built in 1466, has frescoes on the ceilings and a remarkable church organ. Every year on the feast of Corpus Christi a Roman Catholic pilgrimage to Hasselt is held, with a procession. For that purpose a special church was built in 1933.
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2001" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2001]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Samenstelling college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Zwartewaterland. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 8061CB". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
||Noordoostpolder (FL) / Zwarte Meer||Steenwijkerland|