Human Genome Organisation
|Website||HUGO Official website|
The Human Genome Organisation (HUGO) is a non-profit organization founded in 1988. HUGO represents an international coordinating scientific body in response to initiatives such as the Human Genome Project. HUGO has four active committees, including the HUGO Gene Nomenclature Committee (HGNC), sometimes (incorrectly) referred to as "HUGO", and the HUGO Committee on Ethics, Law and Society (CELS).
HUGO was established at the first meeting on genome mapping and sequencing at Cold Spring Harbor in 1988. The idea of starting the organization stemmed from South African biologist Sydney Brenner, who is best known for his significant contributions to work on the genetic code and other areas of molecular biology, as well as winning the 2002 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
A Founding Council was elected at the meeting with a total of 42 scientists from 17 different countries, with Victor A. McKusick serving as founding President. As of 2016[update], HUGO is located at the EWHA Womans University in Seoul, South Korea. HUGO has convened a Human Genome Meeting (HGM) every year since 1996.
In partnership with geneticist Yuan-Tsong Chen and Alice Der-Shan Chen, founders of the Chen Foundation, HUGO presents the Chen Award to those with research accomplishments in human genetics and genomics in Asia Pacific.
- HUGO Gene Nomenclature Committee
- Celera Genomics
- Victor A. McKusick
- Ira Carmen
- List of genetics research organizations
- International Mammalian Genome Society
- "Human Genome Organisation (HUGO) International Ltd. - HUGO Committee on Ethics, Law and Society". www.hugo-international.org. Retrieved 4 September 2020.
- Mckusick, V (August 1989). "The human genome organisation: History, purposes, and membership". Genomics. 5 (2): 385–387. doi:10.1016/0888-7543(89)90077-3.
- Friedberg, Errol (2019). "Sydney Brenner (1927-2019) Mischievous steward of molecular biology's golden age". Nature. 568 (7753): 459. doi:10.1038/d41586-019-01192-9. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 30988427.
- Peterson, Joyce. "JAX Genomic Medicine Scientific Director Charles Lee named president of international Human Genome Organization (HUGO)". The Jackson Laboratory. Retrieved 4 September 2020.
- "Human Genome Organisation (HUGO) International Ltd. - Human Genome Meeting". www.hugo-international.org. Retrieved 4 September 2020.
- "Chen Award". Human Genome Organisation. Retrieved 2 March 2020.