TCB (TV program)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Soundtrack album by Diana Ross & the Supremes with The Temptations|
|Released||December 2, 1968|
|Genre||Pop, Soul, Show tunes|
|Producer||Motown Productions, Inc.
George Schlatter–Ed Friendly Productions
|Diana Ross & the Supremes chronology|
|The Temptations chronology|
TCB is a 1968 television special produced by Motown Productions and George Schlatter–Ed Friendly Productions of Laugh-In fame. The special is a musical revue starring Motown's two most popular groups at the time, Diana Ross & the Supremes and The Temptations. Containing a combination of showtunes, specially prepared numbers, and popular Motown hits, the special was taped before a live studio audience in September 1968 and originally broadcast December 9, 1968 on NBC, sponsored by the Timex watch corporation. The title of the program uses a then-popular acronym, "TCB", which stands for "Taking Care of Business".
Among the program's highlights were Diana Ross' "Afro Vogue" solo spot, Paul Williams' emotionally charged rendition of "For Once in My Life," a cover by both groups of the Aretha Franklin version of Otis Redding's "Respect," and then-new Temptations lead singer Dennis Edwards' lead performance on "(I Know) I'm Losing You," a song considered a signature for his predecessor, David Ruffin.
Pre-empting Laugh-In on Monday night, TCB was the first musical TV special of the rock era to air on American broadcast television. It exceeded all performance expectations, winning its timeslot in the ratings and becoming the top-rated variety show of 1968. A soundtrack album, TCB – The Original Cast Soundtrack was released a week before the special aired on December 9 and reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Top 200 albums chart. It also became the third #1 album for Diana Ross and The Supremes.
- Diana Ross & the Supremes:
- The Temptations:
Songs in TV Special
- "Stop! In the Name of Love"
- Introduction of Diana Ross & the Supremes
- "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
- Introduction of the Temptations
- "Get Ready"
- "My Girl" Introduction of Diana Ross
- "The Way You Do the Things You Do"
- "Reflections" (excerpt from album)
- "Afro-Vogue" (dance instrumental)
- "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"
- Introduction of the Temptations
- "Hello, Young Lovers"
- "For Once in My Life"
- "(I Know) I'm Losing You"
- "With a Song in My Heart"/"Without a Song"
- "I Hear a Symphony"
- "The Impossible Dream"
Song list for TCB soundtrack album
Lead vocalists on each track are identified by superscripts: (a) Diana Ross, (b) Dennis Edwards, (c) Eddie Kendricks, (d) Paul Williams, (e) Temptations ensemble
- "TCB" (Bill Angelos, Buz Kohan) – 2:55 a, e
- "Stop! In the Name of Love" (Holland-Dozier-Holland) – 1:12 a
- Introduction of Diana Ross & the Supremes – 0:55
- "You Keep Me Hangin' On" (Holland-Dozier-Holland) – 1:48 a
- Introduction of the Temptations/"Get Ready" (Smokey Robinson) – 2:34 a, c
- Introduction of Diana Ross/"The Way You Do the Things You Do" (Robinson, Robert Rogers) – 3:23 b, a, c
- Medley – 5:15
- "Respect" (Otis Redding) – 2:37 d, a
- "Somewhere" (Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim) – 3:07 a
- "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" (Norman Whitfield, Edward Holland, Jr.) – 2:05 b
- Introduction of the Temptations – 0:45
- "Hello, Young Lovers" (Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II) – 2:17 e
- "For Once in My Life" (Ron Miller, Orlando Muller) – 3:43 d
- "(I Know) I'm Losing You" (Whitfield, E. Holland) – 3:07 b
- "With a Song in My Heart/Without a Song" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart, Vincent Youmans, Edward Eliscu, Billy Rose) – 3:00 a
- Medley (Holland-Dozier-Holland) – 2:20 a
- "I Hear a Symphony" (Holland-Dozier-Holland) – 2:47 a
- "The Impossible Dream" (Joe Darion, Mitch Leigh) – 3:10 a, d
|TCB||U.S. Billboard 200||1|
|U.S. Billboard R&B Albums Chart||1|
|UK Albums Chart||11|
Awards for TV special
Availability on home media
- G.I.T. on Broadway, 1969 follow-up special
- Brackett, Nathan (2004). The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. Page 797: Fireside Books. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- Ribowsky, Mark (2010). Ain't Too Proud to Beg: The Troubled Lives and Enduring Soul of the Temptations. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.ISBN 978-0-470-26117-0. Pg. 191-198.
- TCB (TV program) - Awards at Internet Movie Database
- Search results for material at Amazon.com
- Search results for material by Google search engine