Isaac Carpenter (drummer)
- For the Assistant Secretary of State, see Isaac W. Carpenter, Jr.
August 29, 1979 |
Tri-Cities, Washington, U.S.
Isaac Carpenter (born August 29, 1979) is an American drummer, percussionist, producer, audio engineer and session musician. Carpenter is best known as the former drummer for the alternative rock group Gosling as well as its previous incarnation Loudermilk. Currently, Carpenter is the drummer for Awolnation. He previously played with Duff McKagan's Loaded as well as Adam Lambert's live band and he has performed and/or recorded with The Exies, Ours, Seaspin, Black Lab, Marion Raven, Tyga and Unified Theory among others.
Loudermilk & Gosling (1995–2006)
In 1995, friends Davey Ingersoll (vocals, guitar), Mark Watrous (guitar), Shane Middleton (bass) and Carpenter formed the hard rock quartet Loudermilk in the Tri-Cities of Washington. Initially formed as a Guns N' Roses cover band, with the name .22s and Tulips, in high school, they released their own independent album, Man with Gun Kills Three! in 1998. American Recordings heard a demo of theirs and subsequently signed them however despite touring with famous bands such as Mötley Crüe and Megadeth, they were dropped from the label. DreamWorks Records signed them in early 2002. Several months later, they recorded and released their first official major label album, The Red Record.
The group later changed their name to Gosling, after changing their musical style, retaining all members with Watrous switching from guitar to keyboards. Influenced by the likes of Sunny Day Real Estate, The Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd and Queen, they released the Gosling EP through The Control Group in August 2004. Earlier in the year, they supported Velvet Revolver at The Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood, California. They released their debut full-length Here Is... in 2006 through V2 and went on to tour with Rose Hill Drive.
The Exies (2007–08)
In 2006, The Exies announced that they were to return to the studio to record a new album with Carpenter joining the group to perform drums on the album. The result was A Modern Way of Living with the Truth, produced by James Michael, released by the band's new label Eleven Seven. Carpenter toured with the group for a month before departing.
In September 2009, drummer Geoff Reading announced his departure from Loaded and at the same time he informed everyone that his replacement was Carpenter:
|“||'I am sad to report that, for now, I have to step down as drummer for Duff McKagan's Loaded.
The pressures of being in the "Duff from Guns N' Roses" spotlight, while thrilling, have left me unable to get back to the performer I was pre-cancer, and unable to properly provide for my family. This combination has plagued my mental recovery, and I need to take time-now-to focus on these things.
The fellas have hired the great Isaac Carpenter to fill in for the UK tour, with a warm-up show at the Chop-Suey in Seattle on Oct 3. I wouldn't miss this show for anything. Issac(sic) is an AMAZING drummer and I, for one, will be right there in front of the stage, with all you Capitol Hill hipsters, arms folded, judging them.
On December 2, McKagan announced via his Twitter that he and the band were jamming on some new material. while guitarist Mike Squires stated in an online interview, on December 6, that the band were hoping to record a new album and to be touring and supporting it in 2010.
On February 1, 2010, it was announced, via Blabbermouth.net, that the group had parted ways with label Century Media and were now looking for a new label having already written and demoed new material.
On July 4, 2010, the band announced they were to begin pre-production and enter the studio in August to record the follow-up to Sick stating:
|“||'We have been writing for the last few months and next week we start pre-production on the new Loaded record! We couldn't be happier and we think you fuckers will be, too!||”|
In August, it was announced that the group were to record their new album with producer Terry Date, whose production credits include albums by Soundgarden, Pantera and Deftones among others. On September 2, it was announced that the album was completed and that the group were looking for a label. McKagan also stated that it was Date that approached the group about producing their new album.
Adam Lambert (2010–12)
On September 18, 2010, Carpenter joined the touring band for Adam Lambert's Glam Nation Tour, replacing previous drummer Longineu W. Parsons III who has since returned to previous group Yellowcard. He performed dates in the US as well as Europe, Asia and Australia from September through to December 2010. As of August/September 2012, Carpenter no longer plays drums for Adam Lambert.
Touring with AWOLNATION (2014–present)
|Man with Gun Kills Three!||1998||She's an Anchor||Loudermilk|
|The Red Record||2002||DreamWorks|
|Gosling EP||2004||The Control Group||Gosling|
|A Modern Way of Living with the Truth||2007||Eleven Seven||The Exies|
|Set Me Free||Marion Raven|
|Passion Leaves a Trace||Blacklabworld||Black Lab|
|No Introduction||2008||Decaydance/Young Money||Tyga|
|A Very Special Christmas 7||2009||A&M||Various Artists|
|Welcome to the Blacklist Club||2010||Sire/Reprise||Evan Taubenfeld|
|Two Strangers||Blacklabworld||Black Lab|
|The Taking||2011||Eagle Rock Entertainment||Loaded|
|Run||2015||Red Bull Records||Awolnation|
Production & engineering credits
|2002||'"Rock N' Roll" (from The Red Record)||DreamWorks||Loudermilk||Engineer, Mixing|
|2003||Ordinary Miracles||The Control Group||Post Stardom Depression||Mixing|
|2004||Gosling EP||Gosling||Engineer, Mixing|
|2005||Prime Time Looks A Lot Like Amateur Night||Post Stardom Depression||Producer, Mixing|
|2006||Here Is...||V2||Gosling||Engineer, Mixing|
|'"Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" (from Underworld: Evolution Soundtrack)||Lakeshore|
|2009||Diamonds in a Dead Sky||The Missionary Position||Mixing|
- "DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED Drummer Quits; Replacement Announced". Blabbermouth.net. September 12, 2009. Archived from the original on September 24, 2009.
- McKagan, Duff (April 1, 2010). "A Dork Among Hipsters". Seattle Weekly.
- "Isaac Carpenter Credits". Artistdirect. Retrieved September 27, 2010.
- Durham, Paul (July 27, 2010). "Album 4 is coming!!!". Twitter.
- MacKenzie, Wilson. "Loudermilk Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- McKagan, Duff (August 2, 2010). "Love and Loudermilk". Seattle Weekly.
- Apar, Corey. "Gosling Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- "VELVET REVOLVER: Setlist From Roxy Show Revealed, Photos Posted Online". Blabbermouth.net. May 10, 2004.
- "SLIPKNOT, CHESTER BENNINGTON, LACUNA COIL Featured On 'Underworld: Evolution' Soundtrack". Blabbermouth.net. December 16, 2005.
- "A Modern Way of Living with the Truth by The Exies". Artistdirect. Retrieved February 23, 2010.
- Reading, Geoff (December 16, 2005). "Geoff Reading announces departure from Loaded/Replacement". duff-loaded.com.
- "DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED To Support BLACK STONE CHERRY in U.K.". Blabbermouth.net. June 24, 2009.
- "Black Stone Cherry Announces European Tour Dates with Duff McKagan's Loaded". Metal Underground. Retrieved February 4, 2010.
- McKagan, Duff. "Jamming on Loaded Material". Twitter. Archived from the original on July 16, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- "A Q&A with Mike Squires from Duff McKagan's Loaded". Blogger. Retrieved February 4, 2010.
- "DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED Splits With CENTURY MEDIA RECORDS, Seeks New Label Home". Blabbermouth.net. February 1, 2010.
- "DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED To Enter Studio in August". Blabbermouth.net. July 4, 2010.
- "Duff McKagan's Loaded Ready New Record". Classic Rock. July 5, 2010.
- "Duff McKagan's Loaded To Enter Studio in August". Ultimate-Guitar.com. July 5, 2010.
- "Duff McKagan's Loaded Ready New Album". Metal Hammer. July 6, 2010.
- "DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED Taps Producer TERRY DATE For New Album". Blabbermouth.net. August 4, 2010.
- "Duff McKagan's Loaded Choose Producer". Classic Rock. August 5, 2010.
- McKagan, Duff (August 9, 2010). "Loaded's Headed into the Studio With Terry Date, the Guy Behind the Records That Inspire the Records I Strive to Make". Seattle Weekly.
- McKagan, Duff (September 2, 2010). "One Loaded Summer". Seattle Weekly.
- "DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED Completes Work on New Album". Blabbermouth.net. September 2, 2010.
- "Adam Lambert Introduces New Drummer Isaac Carpenter". Rockstar Weekly. September 21, 2010.
- "Isaac Carpenter Credits". Allmusic. All Media Guide (Rovi). Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- The Red RecordIs (booklet). Loudermilk. DreamWorks Records. 2002.
- Gosling EP (digipak). Gosling. The Control Group. 2004.
- Here Is... (booklet). Gosling. V2 Records. 2006.