John Ruddock in The Avengers (1962)
John Reynolds Ruddock
20 May 1897
|Died||24 September 1981 (aged 84)|
|Spouse(s)||Avril Voules (1942-1981) (his death)|
John Ruddock (20 May 1897 – 24 September 1981) was a Peruvian-born British film and television actor.
John Ruddock was born on 20 May 1897 in Lima, Peru as John Reynolds Ruddock. He was the first of seven children of his British father and American mother. After the family returned to Britain he was sent to school at St. Lawrence College, Ramsgate, Kent from 1910 to 1914.
He worked briefly for an insurance company in Liverpool before volunteering to fight in the First World War. He was commissioned into the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers and saw action on the Somme and at Passchendaele. He was wounded several times and on one occasion was buried for fifteen hours as a result of an artillery bombardment. In the 1920s he attended the Royal College of Music and then the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. He was in repertory in the 1930s and with the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre company at Stratford. During the Second World War he worked for the Entertainments National Service Association.
In the 1940s and 1950s he had some notable character roles in MGM period films. He also performed numerous roles for the BBC both on radio and television. These included appearances in A Christmas Carol, Dixon of Dock Green, The Avengers and finally in 1977 in the post-apocalyptic fiction series Survivors.
- Escape to Danger (1943) - Jim
- The Way Ahead (1944) - Chelsea Pensioner
- Strawberry Roan (1944) - John Dibben
- Waltz Time (1945) - Count Prohaska
- Pink String and Sealing Wax (1945) - Judge
- Lisbon Story (1946) - Pierre Sargon
- Night Boat to Dublin (1946) - Bowman
- Wanted for Murder (1946) - Glover
- The Laughing Lady (1946) - Gilliatt
- Meet Me at Dawn (1947) - Doctor
- Frieda (1947) - Granger
- The Fallen Idol (1948) - Dr. Wilson
- Under Capricorn (1949) - Mr. Potter
- Quo Vadis (1951) - Chilo
- Secret People (1952) - Daly
- Ivanhoe (1952) - Hundebert
- Martin Luther (1953) - Vicar von Staupitz
- Women Without Men (1956) - 3rd Policeman (uncredited)
- Lust for Life (1956) - Ducrucq
- Question 7 (1961) - Martin Kraus - Küster
- The Avengers, Mr Teddy Bear (1962) - Dr James Howell
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - Elder Harith (uncredited)
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) - Minister of Finance (uncredited)
- The Horsemen (1971) - Scribe
- Elizabeth R (1971, TV Series) - Archbishop Whitgift
- Survivors (1977, TV Series) - Bagley
- "Stars of Screen and Stage" Andrew Brown (Archivist) Old Lawrentian News 2011/12 Page 25 (PDF). pdf Download. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 30 Dec 2014.
- The London Stage 1940-1949: A Calendar of Productions, Performers, and Personnel - J.P.Wearing Page 329. Google Books. 22 Aug 2014. Retrieved 30 Dec 2014.
- Stratford-upon Avon Scene magazine Page 150. Google Books. 1946. Retrieved 30 Dec 2014.