Kate Barry (photographer)
8 April 1967|
St Marylebone, England
11 December 2013 (aged 46)|
Charlotte Gainsbourg (half-sister)|
Lou Doillon (half-sister)
Judy Campbell (grandmother)
Andrew Birkin (uncle)
David Birkin (cousin)
Anno Birkin (cousin)
Barry was the daughter of Franco-British actress and singer Jane Birkin and the composer John Barry. Her maternal grandmother was the actress Judy Campbell and her uncle was the director Andrew Birkin. She moved from Britain to France as a child, and was raised by her mother and her partner Serge Gainsbourg.
She had two half-sisters on her mother's side, French actress and singer Charlotte Gainsbourg and actress and singer Lou Doillon. She had two half-sisters on her father's side, Suzy and Sian and a half-brother, Jon-Patrick. Her son is Roman de Kermadec.
Barry became addicted to drugs as a teenager. After recovering she set up a centre for recovering drug addicts in Paris.
Barry is known for her intimate photographs of famous people. She worked frequently with her mother and sisters, and was also responsible for the album cover of Carla Bruni’s debut album Quelqu'un m'a dit.
- Pierre Perrone (13 December 2013). "Kate Barry: Photographer - Obituaries". The Independent. London. Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- Diderich, Joelle (13 December 2013). "Photographer Kate Barry Dead at 46". WWD. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Allen, Peter (2013-12-12). "France's culture minister pays tribute to British photographer Kate Barry". Evening Standard (London). Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Randhawa, Kiran; Allen, Peter (2013-12-12). "Kate Barry, photographer daughter of Jane Birkin and Bond film composer John Barry, dies in fall from Paris apartment". Evening Standard (London). Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Diderich, Joelle (2013-12-19). "Kate Barry Laid to Rest in Paris". WWD. Retrieved 2013-12-20.