Tummala Seetharama Murthy
Tummala Seetharama Murthy Choudary
|Born||1 December 1901|
Kavuru, Guntur district, India.
|Died||21 March 1990 (aged 88)|
Appikatla, Guntur district, India.
|Genre||Romanticism, Humanistic, Nationalistic|
Murthy was born in Kavuru village in the Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh. Works such as "Rashtragaanamu" reflect patriotism and the Indian independence struggle. He was honoured with the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1969 and with the title "Kalaaprapoorna" by Andhra University in 1969.
Early life and education
Sri Tummala Seetharama Murthy garu was born in Kavuru village in Cherukupalli Mandal of Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh. He was born on 1st December 1901 to Tummala Narayya and Chenchamamba. He completed his Ubhya Bhasha Praveena From Andhra University. He spent most of his career working as teacher. He taught Sanskrit for some time in Sanskrit School, Amrutaluru. He died on 21 March 1990 in Appikatla village of Guntur District.
Poetic style and works
He was initially into Bhava Kavitha Udyayam (Romanti Poetry), later he got inspired in to Humanisim, finally into nationalism and struggle for Indian independence. Later he worked towards special Andhra state and Sarvodaya Movement as well. All these phases gets reflected in works. Tummala SitaRama Murthy advocated Gandhian philosophy. He strived to write poetry in simple language free from complex Sanskrit. His literary works include
- "Rastra Ganamu" - Praising the history and glory of Rayalaseema
- "Mahatma Katha" - The independence movement and nationalism were popularised with Mahatma Gandhi as protagonist in his novel.
- "Sarvodaya Ganamau" - About Sarvodaya movement
- "Pariga Panta"
- "Paira Panta"
He has 30 works to his credit
Accolades and recognition
- Sahitya Akademi Award in Telugu, in 1969 for his Poetry - Mahatma Katha
- Kalaprapoorna (Sahitya) title by Andhra University
- Abhinava Tikkana, Telugu lenka titles conferred by other organizations
- "Sahitya Akademi Recipients in Telugu".
- "తెలుగు రచయిత". www.telugurachayita.org.
- "తుమ్మల సీతారామ మూర్తి ( Tummala Seetharama Murthy ) | Telugu Rachayita". www.telugurachayita.org. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "SCHOOLS". www.govada.org. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- Page 15, Andhra Pradesh, Volume 15, 1970 by Directorate of information and Broadcasting, Government of Andhra Pradesh
- Indian & Pakistan Year Book & Who's who. Bennett, Coleman & Company. 1 January 1951.
- "Kritya :: In The Name Of Poetry". www.kritya.in. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- The Indian P.E.N. P.E.N. All-India Centre. 1 January 1973.
- "Digital Library of India". www.dli.gov.in. Retrieved 10 September 2016.