Mark E. Petersen
|Mark E. Petersen|
|Quorum of the Twelve Apostles|
|April 20, 1944– January 11, 1984|
|LDS Church Apostle|
|April 20, 1944– January 11, 1984|
|Reason||Excommunication of Richard R. Lyman|
at end of term
|Russell M. Nelson and Dallin H. Oaks were ordained after the deaths of Petersen and LeGrand Richards|
Mark Edward Petersen|
November 7, 1900
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
January 11, 1984 (aged 83)|
Murray, Utah, United States
Salt Lake City Cemetery|
|Spouse(s)||Emma Marr McDonald|
Mark Edward Petersen (November 7, 1900 – January 11, 1984) was an American news editor and religious leader who served as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1944 until his death. Born in Salt Lake City, Utah, he filled the vacancy in the Quorum caused by the excommunication of Richard R. Lyman. Petersen had become managing editor of the church-owned Deseret News in 1935 and editor in 1941.
As a young boy, Petersen was a newspaper carrier, and he also helped in his father’s construction business. Later, he attended the University of Utah and served a mission for the LDS Church in Nova Scotia. In pursuing a career, he became a reporter for the Deseret News and continued working for the paper for sixty years, advancing to the position of president and chairman of the board. Petersen wrote numerous editorials and published more than forty books and many pamphlets used in the church's missionary effort.
In April 1944, while serving as general manager of the Deseret News, Petersen was called to be a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. In his calling as an apostle, he directed the church’s public information programs and served on the Military Relations Committee. He was an adviser to the church's Relief Society, Indian Affairs Committee, and Music Committee. He served as president of the West European Mission for more than six years. Petersen was also involved in many community affairs. He was closely associated with the Boy Scouts of America and was a recipient of the Silver Antelope Award. In 1959, in response to a rash of arrests of gay men in Utah and Idaho, church president David O. McKay assigned apostles Spencer W. Kimball and Petersen to work on curing gays within the church.
At Brigham Young University on 27 August 1954, at the Convention of Teachers of Religion on the College Level, Petersen delivered the speech, "Race Problems—As They Affect the Church". The speech outlined the religious underpinnings of racial segregation and supported its continued practice as it related to intermarriage between blacks and whites. Particularly, he reaffirmed the LDS Church's stance at that time that those with dark skin had been less valiant in their lives before coming to earth. He also reiterated the idea that blacks were to be servants to righteous white people after the resurrection, as was the case with Jane Manning James who was sealed to Joseph Smith to be his servant in the next life. Petersen said:
In spite of all he did in the pre-existent life, the Lord is willing, if the Negro accepts the gospel with real, sincere faith, and is really converted, to give him the blessings of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. If that Negro is faithful all his days, he can and will enter the celestial kingdom. He will go there as a servant, but he will get a celestial resurrection. He will get a place in the celestial glory.
- ------ (1953). Your Faith and You. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- ------ (1953). An apostle speaks to youth about... The Sacredness of Sex - Chastity in Its Holy Mission. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University.
- —— (1954). For Time or Eternity. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- —— (1959). A Faith to Live By. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- ------ (1959). Teen Dating and Marriage. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book
- —— (1960). Toward a Better Life. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book.
- —— (1962). Patterns for Living. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- —— (1962). One Lord ... One Faith!. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book.
- —— (1963). Faith Works!. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- —— (1964). Guide to a Happy Marriage. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- —— (1965). Our Moral Challenge. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book.
- —— (1966). Why the Religious Life. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book.
- —— (1966). As Translated Correctly. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book.
- —— (1969). The Way to Peace. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- —— (1969). Drugs, Drinks & Morals. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. LCCN 79-109605. OCLC 123940.
- —— (1971). Live it Up!. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-450-8.
- —— (1972). Marriage and Common Sense. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- ——; Petersen, Emma Marr (1973). Virtue Makes Sense!. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-500-8.
- —— (1974). The Way of the Master. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0-88494-271-6.
- —— (1975). The Great Prologue. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-557-1.
- —— (1976). Adam, Who is He?. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-592-X.
- —— (1976). The Salt and the Savor. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0-88494-306-2.
- —— (1977). Moses: Man of Miracles. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-651-9.
- —— (1977). Marriage: Covenants and Conflicts. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- —— (1978). Joshua, Man of Faith. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-720-5.
- —— (1978). The Unknown God. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0-88494-337-2.
- —— (1979). Those Gold Plates!. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0-88494-364-X.
- —— (1979). Abraham, Friend of God. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-780-9.
- —— (1979). The Forerunners. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0-88494-376-3.
- —— (1980). Three Kings of Israel. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0-87747-829-5.
- —— (1981). Isaiah for Today. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-882-1.
- —— (1981). Children of Promise: The Lamanites: Yesterday & Today. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0-88494-431-X.
- —— (1981). Family Power!. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft.
- —— (1981). Joseph of Egypt. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-861-9.
- —— (1982). Noah and the Flood. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-935-6.
- —— (1982). This Is Life Eternal. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft. ISBN 0-88494-474-3.
- —— (1983). Malachi and the Great and Dreadful Day. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-962-3.
- —— (1983). Alma and Abinadi. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-959-3.
- —— (1984). The Jaredites. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-998-4.
- —— (1984). The Teachings of Paul. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-843-0.
- —— (1984). The Sons of Mosiah. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-297-1.
General conference talks
As a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, Petersen spoke at each of the church's general conferences. Those addresses from 1971 until his death are shown below.
|April 1971||Warnings from the Past||Morality; Prophecy|
|October 1971||Honesty, a Principle of Salvation||Honesty|
|April 1972||A People of Sound Judgment||Prophets; Restoration|
|October 1972||Another Prophet Now Has Come!||Prophets; Restoration; Spirituality|
|April 1973||Salvation Comes through the Church||Plan of Salvation; Apostasy|
|October 1973||“What Will a Man Give?”||Obedience; Commandments; Agency|
|April 1974||The People Say “Amen”||Church Leaders; Prophets|
|October 1974||Eternal Togetherness||Marriage; Plan of Salvation|
|April 1975||The Sabbath Day||Obedience; Sabbath|
|October 1975||“Hear Ye Him!”||Church Growth; Restoration|
|April 1976||The Message of Elijah||Family History; Temple Work|
|October 1976||The Savor of Men||Government; Obedience; Heroes|
|April 1977||Do Unto Others…||Brotherhood; Kindness|
|October 1977||It Was a Miracle!||Book of Mormon|
|April 1978||“Evidence of Things Not Seen”||Prophets; Book of Mormon; Restoration|
|October 1978||The Last Words of Moroni||Book of Mormon|
|April 1979||Signs of the True Church||Apostasy; Restoration|
|October 1979||O America, America||Obedience; Repentance; Honesty|
|April 1980||Where Do We Stand?||Obedience; Spirituality|
|October 1980||Adam, the Archangel||Adam and Eve|
|April 1981||Blessings in Self-Reliance||Obedience; Morality|
|October 1981||Follow the Prophets||Prophets|
|April 1982||“Even As I Am”||Jesus Christ; Women|
|April 1982||“We Believe in Being Honest”||Obedience; Honesty|
|October 1982||Believers and Doers||Plan of Salvation|
|April 1983||Creator and Savior||Jesus Christ; Resurrection; Atonement|
|October 1983||The Angel Moroni Came!||Angels|
- Monson, Thomas S. (March 1984). "In Memoriam:By His Words—Elder Mark E. Petersen - new-era". New Era. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "This week in Church History". Church News. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret News. 3 January 2009. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- O'Donovan, Rocky (1994). Multiply and Replenish: Mormon Essays on Sex and Family. Salt Lake City: Signature Books. p. 147. ISBN 1-56085-050-7. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Kimball, Edward L.; Kimball, Andrew E. (1977). Spencer W. Kimball: Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salt Lake City: Bookcraft. p. 381.
- Petersen, Elder Mark E. (27 August 1954). "Race Problems— As They Affect The Church". archive.org. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Tanner, Jerald and Sandra (2004). "Appendix B: Race Problems—As They Affect The Church". Curse of Cain?: Racism in the Mormon Church. Utah Lighthouse Ministry.
- McNamara, Mary Lou (24 January 2001). Contemporary Mormonism: Social Science Perspectives (Reprint ed.). Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press. p. 318. ISBN 0252069595. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Bush, Lester E., Jr.; Mauss, Armand L., eds. (1984). "Appendix: Authoritative Statements on the Status of Blacks". Neither White nor Black: Mormon Scholars Confront the Race Issue in a Universal Church. Midvale, Utah: Signature Books. ISBN 0-941214-22-2.
- Embry, Jessie L. (1994). "Chapter 3: Impact of the LDS "Negro Policy"". Black Saints in a White Church: Contemporary African American Mormons. Signature Books. pp. 40–41. ISBN 1560850442.
Sourced from the George A. Smith family papers, 1731-1969' (box 78, folder 7) on the 'Quorum of the Twelve Apostles— Excerpts from the weekly council meetings dealing with the rights of African Americans in the church (1849-1940')
- Driggs, Ken (2001). "'This Will Someday Be the Head and Not the Tail of the Church': A History of the Mormon Fundamentalists at Short Creek". Journal of Church and State. 43 (1): 49–80. JSTOR 23920013.
- Barton, Peggy Petersen (1985). Mark E. Petersen: A Biography. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-642-X.
|The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints titles|
Ezra Taft Benson
| Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
April 20, 1944 – January 11, 1984