François Xavier Bazin
Bazin was born in Mirecourt to Joseph Eustache Bazin (1785-1863), judiciary clerk, and Marguerite Laurent. Notable experts suggest that he was influenced and purportedly studied with Dominique Peccatte and Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume in Paris, then established himself in Mirecourt around 1840. He was brother of Charles-Nicolas Bazin I, and father of Charles Nicolas Bazin II.
On 25 August 1845 he married Jeanne Hélène Maucotel, an embroiderer. They had six children, including Charles Nicolas Bazin, the bow maker.
A catalogue of Louis Bazin & Son mentions him "Manufacture d'Archets de violons - Maison fondée en 1840". As the first prominent Bazin bow makers, he fuelled the social rise of the family. He invested in real estate, including the 'Hauts de Chaumont' vineyard.
Bazin taught bow making to his son Charles Nicolas Bazin. He died at the age of 41, apparently of cholera. François-Xavier made only a small number of bows, but this was sufficient to establish the family’s reputation. He made excellent bows in Peccatte style. His bows are rare.
Bazin was a master bow maker, who was very much influenced by Dominique Peccatte. According to Italian bow expert Paolo Sarri: "Two are the periods of his work. The first, characterized by lines that remind authors such as Nicolas Maline and Joseph Fonclause, with angular shapes influenced the Peccattian school. In the late '50s, following the current fashion, he comes back to a softer style similar to Voirin's one." He added: "Because of his untimely death, Francois Xavier's bows are not so easy to find"
- "MusicSack". Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "The fathers of Bazin: the great name of Mirecourt bow making". Masters: Profiles of the lives and works of great names in violin making. Corilon violins. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- The Rise & Fall of a Dynasty STRAD 1994 | Les Bazin - une dynastie d'archetiers et de luthiers - Les Amis du Vieux Mirecourt Regain
- "THE BAZINS; FRANCOIS XAVIER THE FOUNDER". Paolo's Blog. Ateliér d'Archeterie. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Les Bazin - une dynastie d'archetiers et de luthiers - Les Amis du Vieux Mirecourt Regain
- The Rise & Fall of a Dynasty STRAD 1994 | Les Bazin - une dynastie d'archetiers et de luthiers - Les Amis du Vieux Mirecourt Regain: translated from French to English by Gennady & Carole Filimonov
- Roda, Joseph (1959). Bows for Musical Instruments. Chicago: W. Lewis. OCLC 906667.
- Vatelot, Étienne (1976). Les Archet Francais. Sernor: M. Dufour. OCLC 2850939.
- Raffin, Jean Francois; Millant, Bernard (2000). L'Archet. Paris: L'Archet Éditions. ISBN 2-9515569-0-X.
- Discovering bows for the Double Bass 1994 Beaux Arts Editions - Christopher Brown
- Dictionnaire Universel del Luthiers - Rene Vannes 1951,1972, 1985 (vol.3)
- Universal Dictionary of Violin & Bow Makers - William Henley 1970