|Born||1963 (age 55–56)|
|Occupation||linguist, scholar, writer|
|Alma mater||School of Oriental and African Studies|
Orwin studied Arabic and Amharic and has a PhD in the phonology of the Somali language. Since 1992, he has been a lecturer in Somali and Amharic at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London, England, where he teaches both Afro-Asiatic languages.
He has also published articles on Somali language and poetry and has conducted field research in the Horn of Africa.
Orwin's ongoing research interests include language use in poetry, particularly in the metrics of Somali verse. In addition, he has translated a number of Somali poems, two of which were published in the Modern Poetry in Translation (No.17 Mother Tongues Special Edition 2001) compendium.
He is also the author of Colloquial Somali, a popular book & CD instruction course on the Somali language.
- Orwin, Martin, Colloquial Somali: A Complete Language Course, (Routledge: 1995). ISBN 0-415-45269-4 ISBN 978-0415452694
- Orwin, Martin and Awde, N and Xaaji, Cabdulqaadir, Somali-English, English-Somali Dictionary and Phrasebook, (Hippocrene Books: 1999). ISBN 0-7818-0621-6 ISBN 978-0781806213
- "Bildhaan – Editorial Board". Macalester College. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Martin Orwin's homepage at SOAS[permanent dead link]
- Martin Orwin's biography at Poetry Translation Centre