Dever at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival
Kaitlyn Rochelle Dever
December 21, 1996
Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Kaitlyn Rochelle Dever (// DEE-ver; born December 21, 1996) is an American actress. She is known for her roles as Gwen Thompson in An American Girl: Chrissa Stands Strong (2009), Loretta McCready in Justified (2011–2015), Eve Baxter in Last Man Standing (2011–2018), and Jayden Cole in Short Term 12 (2013). She has portrayed supporting roles in films including Bad Teacher (2011), The Spectacular Now (2013), Laggies (2014), Men, Women & Children (2014), Detroit (2017), The Front Runner (2018), and Beautiful Boy (2018). She plays a lead role in the 2019 films Them That Follow and Booksmart.
Dever was born in Phoenix, Arizona, to Tim and Kathy Dever. At the age of five, she developed an interest in the performing arts with her parents sending her to an acting school. She also participated in gymnastics, ballet and skating, until she focused on acting. Her family then moved to Dallas, Texas, when her father was given the role of the voice of Barney the Purple Dinosaur, and where she enrolled at the Dallas Young Actors Studio in a month-long acting program. Honing her acting skills at the studio, she booked a number of commercials, before moving to Los Angeles.
Dever's first notable acting role was as Gwen Thompson in the American Girl film An American Girl: Chrissa Stands Strong (2009). In 2011, she was cast in a recurring role as Loretta McCready in the FX series Justified, during the show's second season. That same year, she was cast as a series regular in the ABC sitcom Last Man Standing, starring with Tim Allen.
Dever's other television credits include Make It or Break It, Modern Family, Private Practice, Party Down, The Mentalist, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Her 2011 film credits include Cinema Verite, Bad Teacher, and the Clint Eastwood–directed film J. Edgar. In 2012, Dever was nominated three times at the 33rd Young Artist Awards: for her supporting roles in Bad Teacher and Last Man Standing, and for her recurring role in Justified. In 2013, Dever appeared in supporting roles in the critically acclaimed films The Spectacular Now and Short Term 12. Her role in the latter garnered widespread acclaim from critics.
Dever appeared in the dark comedy film Laggies (2014), alongside Chloë Grace Moretz and Keira Knightley. The same year, she co-starred in the film Men, Women & Children, directed by Jason Reitman. Dever has two star roles for summer 2019: as Amy in Booksmart, a teen comedy ode to friendship "for the ages"; and as Dilly Picket in the upcoming drama-thriller film Them That Follow.
|2009||An American Girl: Chrissa Stands Strong||Gwen Thompson|
|2011||Bad Teacher||Sasha Abernathy|
|J. Edgar||Palmer's Daughter|
|2013||The Spectacular Now||Krystal|
|Short Term 12||Jayden Cole|
|Men, Women & Children||Brandy Beltmeyer|
|2017||All Summers End||Grace Turner|
|We Don't Belong Here||Lily Green|
|Outside In||Hildy Beasley|
|2018||The Front Runner||Andrea Hart|
|2019||Them That Follow||Dilly Picket|
|2009||Make It or Break It||Adorable Girl||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2009||Modern Family||Bianca Douglas||Episode: "Fizbo"|
|2010||Private Practice||Paige||Episode: "Love Bites"|
|2010||Party Down||Escapade Dunfree||Episode: "Party Down Company Picnic"|
|2011||Cinema Verite||Michelle Loud||Television film|
|2011||The Mentalist||Trina||Episode: "Blood for Blood"|
|2011–2015||Justified||Loretta McCready||17 episodes|
|2011||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Kyra O'Donnell||Episode: "The Divorce"|
|2011–present||Last Man Standing||Eve Baxter||Main role (Season 1–6) |
Recurring role (Season 7–present)
|2016||Uncharted 4: A Thief's End||Cassie Drake||Voice and motion capture|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a Television Series – Guest Starring Young Actress||Private Practice||Nominated|
|2012||Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a Feature Film – Supporting Young Actress||Bad Teacher||Nominated|
|Best Performance in a Television Series – Supporting Young Actress||Last Man Standing||Nominated|
|Best Performance in a Television Series – Recurring Young Actress||Justified||Nominated|
|2013||Phoenix Film Critics Society||Best Youth Performance in a Leading or Supporting Role – Female||Short Term 12||Nominated|
- "KAITLYN DEVER Eve on ABC's "Last Man Standing"". ABC Medianet. Archived from the original on November 9, 2013. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- Ephraim, Molly (December 21, 2013). "The little sis I never had but always dreamed for is 17 today! Happy bday @KaitlynDever". Twitter.
- "Kaitlyn Dever: A booming career - at just 17". Philly.com. January 16, 2014. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- Sullivan, Brian Ford (June 6, 2011). "The Futon's First Look: "Last Man Standing" (ABC)". TheFutonCritic. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- "33rd Annual Young Artist Awards". Archived from the original on April 4, 2012. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Nededog, Jethro (June 7, 2013). "'Last Man Standing's' Kaitlyn Dever Joins Keira Knightley in Dark Comedy 'Laggies' (Exclusive)". TheWrap.
- Billington, Alex (December 16, 2013). "Jason Reitman's Next Film 'Men, Women & Children' Begins Shooting". FirstShowing.net. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Millman, Zosha (May 23, 2019). "'Booksmart' is smart enough to become valedictorian of high school movies". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved May 26, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 3, 2017). "Kaitlyn Dever Cast In Dramatic Thriller 'Them That Follow'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 4, 2017.