This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Olasupo Shasore, SAN
|Partner, ALP (Africa Law Practice)|
|Assumed office |
|Litigation Partner, Ajumogobia and Okeke|
|Attorney General & Commissioner for Justice, Lagos State|
|Preceded by||Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN|
|Succeeded by||Mr. Ade Ipaye|
|Partner, Ajumogobia & Okeke|
|Co-founding partner, Ukiri & Shasore|
22 January 1964
Lagos Island, Lagos, Nigeria
|Relations||Taoheed Olakunle Adio Shasore (father) |
Bilkis Oladoyinbo Adufe (mother)
|Alma mater||Obafemi Awolowo University (LL B)|
University of Lagos (LL M)
Olasupo Shasore, SAN (born 22 January 1964) is a legal practitioner.He is a partner in the law firm of ALP (Africa Law Practice), a leading commercial law firm in Nigeria. He was Attorney General & Commissioner for Justice, Lagos State from 2007 – 2011. Shasore is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He is the immediate past chair, Arbitration & Dispute Resolution Committee of the Section on Business Law of the Nigerian Bar Association.
Attorney General & Commissioner for Justice, Lagos State (2007–2011)
Olasupo Shasore served as Attorney General & Commissioner for Justice, Lagos State from 2007 – 2011. As Attorney General, he led the review of the Criminal Code Law, and the Administration of Criminal Justice Law. He also authored and issued the first Prosecutors' Guidelines (2011), and initiated the first African Regional Conference of the International Association of Prosecutors (IAP).
During his time as Attorney General of Lagos, Shasore chaired the Mortgage and Property Law Reform Committee, which produced and recommended the Mortgage & Property Law (2009). He also authored the Home Ownership and Mortgage Policy (2011). As Chairman of the Lagos Home Ownership Scheme (Lagos HOMS), he oversaw the development of two hundred homes per month for mortgage-assisted purchase for the people of Lagos. Shasore also initiated the policy and crafted the tenant friendly Tenancy Law of Lagos State, to balance the inequality between landlords and tenants.
As chairman and later Vice-Chairman of the Lagos State Procurement Agency (State Tenders Board) between 2007 – 2011, Shasore supervised the award and execution of all major infrastructure and capital projects in Lagos State, providing roads, hospitals, schools and housing.
Early life and education
Shasore was born in Lagos Island, Lagos in 1964. His father Taoheed Olakunle Adio Shasore was a diplomat and Africa policy expert, who later became Chief The Shasore of Lagos of 8 Sasore Court, Lagos Island. His mother Bilkis Oladoyinbo Adufe was a civil servant and a businesswoman.
Shasore started his education at Christ Church Cathedral Primary School, Lagos in 1968. He completed his primary education at Broadfields Primary School, Middlesex, England in 1974, and thereafter started his secondary education at Orange Hill Grammar School, Middlesex, England. He graduated from Federal Government College, Lagos in 1980 with his West African School Certificate – Grade 1. He attended Igbobi College Yaba, Lagos from 1980 – 1981. Shasore graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from the University of Ife, Ile-Ife in 1986. He earned a Master of Law (LLM) from the University of Lagos in 1990.
At the Bar
Olasupo Shasore was called to the Nigerian Bar on 22 October 1987. He became a member of the Inner Bar and was conferred with the rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) in 2006. He is a member of the Body of Benchers of Nigeria, and a Notary Public for Nigeria. Shasore leads the Commercial Litigation & Arbitration practice group at Ajumogobia & Okeke. Over the course of his career, he has acted as counsel in a number of leading decisions of the Court of Appeal in Nigeria and the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
Over the course of his career, he has received several appointments, including:
- President, Lagos Court of Arbitration
- Chairman, Lagos State Waterways Authority
- Chairman, Lagos State Law Reform Commission
- Chairman, Lagos State Executive Council Committee on Power
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Chairman, National Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Reform Committee (2012)
- Chairman of Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Section on Business Law, Nigerian Bar Association
- Member, London Court of International Arbitration, Africa User Group
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Maritime Arbitrators Association of Nigeria
- Member, Nigerian Society of International Law and International Association of Prosecutors
- Member of panel of experts – Panel of Recognized International Market Experts (PRIME)
- Member, Advisory Committee – International Lawyers for Africa (ILFA)
Family and personal life
Olasupo Shasore has been married to Gbemisola Shasore (née Shonola-Soyinka) since 1993. Mrs. Shasore is a public relations practitioner and an event management consultant. She has had a notable career in charity and non-governmental work as President, International Women’s Association; Charter Member, Zonta International; Chair, Access to Knowledge Ltd GTE. Their marriage is blessed with three children.
Shasore is a regular worshipper at the Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos (Anglican Communion). He has served on the Church’s History Committee and is a member of the Cathedral Standing Committee.
Publications and articles
Recent Books: Platter of gold: a history of the struggle for Nigeria's Independence published by Quramo Publishers in 2016
- Possessed – A History of Law & Justice in the Crown Colony of Lagos (2014)
- Commercial Arbitration – Arbitration Law & International Practice in Nigeria (Lexis Nexis 2011) Johnson and Shasore;
- Jurisdiction & Sovereign Immunity in Nigerian Commercial Law (Practice and textbook) (NIIA 2007).
- “Shipbuilding 2013” (Getting the Deal Through);
- Civil Forfeiture (in criminal justice) – legislation required (2011); Tuesday 12 July 2011;
- A Case for specialising Judges in Administration of Justice (Published in Business Day) 2007;
- Commercial litigation (Limitation of actions and cause of actions) CLRN Rev 2006;
- Arbitration in Commodity and Trade law in Nigeria-article published in (“The Arbitrator” 2006);
- The Role of Negotiation – in Arbitration and Dispute Resolution – (“The Arbitrator” December 2005);
- Contract Law (undue influence) CLRN Rev 2005;
- International Law (Sovereign and Diplomatic Immunity in Nigeria) CLRN Rev 2005;
- Limitation of Action in Nigerian Law January 2002-The Maritime Advocacy international;
- International Ship and Port Facility Code (ISPS) – Nigerian Perspectives; Interlaw Journal 2004;
- Parallel Imports – “Grey Market Goods” – Is there any Protection – Commercial Law Digest March 2001
- Multi Party Actions; Management of Multi-Party Litigation – Commercial Law Digest 2001;
- Federal High Court Jurisdiction in Oil Pollution Claims- Commercial Law Digest Dec 2000;
- Country (National) Contribution to the only Transport Law Commission Report “Developments in International Transport Law”; 1996 – of The Association Internationale Des Jeunes Avocats (AIJA).Contributing report; Enforcement of Foreign Judgments (A Comparative Study) Ed. I. GARB & J. LEW.
- "Lagos Homs". Lagos Homs. Lagos State Government. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Supo Shasore releases 'Possessed'". ArtyLiving. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Public Presentation of Commercial Arbitration Law and International Practice in Nigeria". TundeFashola.com. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- How to make lawyers popular by Shasore at the 2012 IBA Conference
- Supo Shasore
- Lagos AG, Shasore : I’d Have Pressed for Stiffer Sentence on Cecilia Ibru
- Lagos inaugurates law reform committee
- Lagos State inaugurates committee to review laws
- Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Committee of Section on Business Law of the Nigerian Bar Association
- Lagos Law Reform Commission members
- A Special report on Nigeria by wall street Journal- Interview by Lagos Attorney General Supo Shasore
- Shasore & Candide-Johnson, New Sheriffs in town...Fashola