Ali Enver Adakan
|Full name||Ali Enver Adakan|
19 July 1977|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||100 kg (220 lb)|
|Club||İstanbul Yelken Kulübü|
Ali Enver Adakan (born July 19, 1977 in Istanbul) is a retired Turkish dinghy sailor, who specialized in Finn class. He represented Turkey in two editions of the Olympic Games (2000 and 2004), and has been training for the Istanbul Sailing Club (Turkish: İstanbul Yelken Kulübü) during his sporting career.
2000 Summer Olympics
Adakan made his official debut at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, where he delivered an effortless eighth-place effort in the Finn class with a remarkable grade of 66, finishing off the podium by 19 points.
2004 Summer Olympics
At the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Adakan qualified for his second Turkish team in the men's Finn class by finishing eleventh and receiving a berth from the ISAF World Championships in Cadiz, Spain. After achieving a top ten finish in sailing from Sydney, Adakan was appointed by the National Olympic Committee of Turkey (Turkish: Türkiye Milli Olimpiyat Komitesi, TMOK) to carry the nation's flag in the opening ceremony. He mounted a second highest placement on the first leg of the series, but came up short for the podium with a sixteenth-place finish on 124 points.
When he officially retired from sailing in 2005, Adakan was appointed as the vice president of sailing for the International Finn Class Association.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Ali Enver Adakan". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Yelkenler fora!" [Unfurl the sails!] (in Turkish). Milliyet. 6 August 2004. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Sydney 2000: Sailing – Men's Finn Class" (PDF). Sydney 2000. LA84 Foundation. p. 75. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Yelkenci Adakan olimpiyat vizesi aldı" [Sailor Adakan qualifies for the Olympics] (in Turkish). Zaman. 27 September 2003. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "2004 Athens: Flag Bearers for the Opening Ceremony". Olympics. 13 August 2004. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Türk Bayrağı'nı Adakan taşıyacak" [Adakan carries Turkish flag] (in Turkish). Hürriyet. 12 August 2004. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Adakan: Bayrağı taşımak büyük onur" [Adakan: "I have a great honor of carrying the flag"] (in Turkish). NTV (Turkey). 13 August 2004. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Men's Finn Class". Athens 2004. BBC Sport. 15 August 2004. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Dr. Balazs Hajdu Elected Finn Class President". ISAF. 9 August 2005. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
|This biographical article related to yacht racing in Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|