The Talking Eggs: A Folktale from the American South
|Author||Robert D. San Souci|
|Genre||Children's picture book, folklore|
|Published||1989 (Dial Press)|
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
The Talking Eggs: A Folktale from the American South is a 1989 children's picture book by Robert D. San Souci and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney. It is an adaption of a Creole folktale about a girl who is mistreated by her family, meets an old woman in the woods, receives some eggs that contains treasures, then moves to the city, leaving her family to fruitlessly search for the woman and the eggs.
Common Sense Media in its review of The Talking Eggs, wrote "Robert D. San Souci captures the reader's attention with simple language that brings the country setting to life: "They lived on a farm so poor, it looked like the tail end of bad luck." And Jerry Pinkney's watercolors convey the sharp contrast between Blanche's difficult home life and the hilarious celebration at the old woman's home."
Kirkus Reviews, wrote "A lively retelling of a rather hard-hearted Creole version of a widely collected folktale." and the School Library Journal called it "a unique contribution to the American folktale repertoire"
- 1989 Coretta Scott King Book Illustration Award - honor
- 1989 Irma Simonton Black Book Award - winner
- 1990 Caldecott Medal - honor
- Sally Snyder. "The Talking Eggs: A Folktale From the American South". www.commonsensemedia.org. Common Sense Media Inc. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- "The Talking Eggs: A Folktale from the American South". Kirkus Reviews. Kirkus Media LLC. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- "The talking eggs : a folktale from the American South". Buffalo and Erie County Public Library. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- "The Talking Eggs: A Folktale from the American South". Publishers Weekly. PWxyz LLC. October 1, 1989. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- Claire Gatrell Stephens (2000). Coretta Scott King Award Books: Using Great Literature with Children and Young Adults. Libraries Unlimited. p. 50. ISBN 9781563086854.
- "The Irma S. and James H. Black Award for Excellence in Children's Literature". ucalgary.ca. David K. Brown. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- "The Talking Eggs: A Folktale from the American South, 1990 Caldecott Honor Book". ala.org. ALA. Retrieved December 26, 2016.