244th Aviation Brigade
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2014)|
|244th Aviation Brigade|
244th Aviation Brigade shoulder sleeve insignia
|Active||16 September 1988 – present|
|Allegiance||Regular Army/Army Reserve|
|Role||Daily missions;search and rescue operations; assisting in wildfire suppression; providing support at the Army National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California;, and flying dignitaries around the country.|
|Part of||11th Theater Aviation Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Fort Dix, New Jersey|
|Motto||"Wings of The Hawk"|
|distinctive unit insignia|
- HHC, 244th Aviation Brigade, headquartered at Fort Dix, New Jersey
- 7th Battalion, 158th Aviation Regiment, headquartered at Fort Hood, Texas
- 5th Battalion, 159th Aviation Regiment, headquartered at Fort Eustis, Virginia
- 2nd Battalion, 228th Aviation Regiment, headquartered at McGuire AFB, New Jersey
- 90th Support Battalion (Aviation), headquartered at Army Reserve Center, Fort Worth , Texas
The 244th Aviation Brigade became a component of the 11th Theater Aviation Command when the command activated on 16 September 2007. At that time, a number of units which were formerly under the brigade were transferred away and several units within the brigade were reconsolidated. Until the transfer, the 244th Aviation Brigade was the largest aviation brigade in the United States Army and continues to be the only aviation brigade in the United States Army Reserve.
The 244th Aviation Brigade was originally constituted on 16 September 1988 in the Army Reserve as Headquarters, 244th Aviation Group and was activated at Naval Air Station Glenview in Glenview, Illinois. On 31 March 1995 the group's location was changed to Fort Sheridan, Illinois and on 17 October 1995 the Group was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 244th Aviation Brigade. On 1 October 2008, the Brigade headquarters was moved from Fort Sheridan, Illinois to Fort Dix, New Jersey.
The brigade consists of a mix of Active Component and Reserve (Troop Program Unit and Active Guard Reserve) soldiers as well as Department of the Army civilian employees and contractors. Every unit of the brigade has deployed overseas to support contingency operations since 1988, including the Brigade Headquarters and Headquarters Company. These operations include Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Joint Forge, Noble Eagle, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Units of the brigade also perform daily missions in cooperation with other United States forces and agencies such as search and rescue operations, assisting in wildfire suppression, providing support at the Army National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California, and flying dignitaries around the country.
- Constituted 16 September 1988 in the Army Reserve as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 244th Aviation Group, and activated at Glenview Naval Air Station, Illinois
- Location changed 31 March 1995 to Fort Sheridan, Illinois
- Reorganized and redesignated 7 October 1995 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 244th Aviation Brigade.
- Location changed 1 October 2008 to Fort Dix, New Jersey
Campaign Participation Credit
- Global War on Terrorism
- Afghanistan Campaign
- Iraq Campaign