Abhijit, also spelled Abhijeet, is a male name common in the Indian subcontinent. The meaning of Abhijit is "victorious" or "conqueror" in the Sanskrit language. Abhijit (or Abhijeet) is the Sanskrit name for Vega (the word Vega itself being a loose transliteration of the Arabic word wāqi‘ meaning "falling" or "landing", via the phrase an-nasr al-wāqi‘, "the falling eagle"). Vega/Abhijeet is the brightest star in the northern constellation of Lyra. Abhijit is also the name of a lunar mansion (nakshatra) in Hindu astrology. Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita states that among the nakshatras, he is to be associated with Abhijit. In the Zoroastrian religion, Vega is a minor deity called Vanant (which means "conqueror" in the Avestan language). Vanant's great task is to guard the mythical mountain at the center of the earth through which the sun passes everyday.
Abhijit is the name (in the Hindu measurement of time, Muhurat) of a period of 48 minutes centered around solar noon which is considered a good time to start any task.
Notable people with the name include:
- Abhijeet Bhattacharya, Indian playback singer best known by his first name
- Abhijeet Kosambi (born 1982), classical singer and winner of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa -Maharashtra cha Maha Gayak
- Abhijeet Sawant (born 1981), singer and winner of Indian Idol
- Abhijeet Gupta (born 1989), chess grandmaster
- Abhijit Das (born 1969 ),Indian political leader & social activist
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|