Alan L. Hoffman
|Alan L. Hoffman|
|Chief of Staff to Vice President of United States and Deputy Assistant to President|
|Vice President||Joe Biden|
|Alma mater||Lafayette College, (A.B.)
USC Gould School of Law (J.D.)/University of Southern California (M.P.A.)
Alan L. Hoffman serves as Deputy Chief of Staff to the Vice President of the United States Joe Biden and Deputy Assistant to the President. Hoffman works on a variety of issues including crime, drugs and protecting intellectual property. This marks the third time, Hoffman has worked for the Vice President. Previously, Hoffman served as Chief of Staff to Senator Biden from 1998–2003 and from 2006-2008 while Biden was running for President.
Life and education
Hoffman is married to Lizzie Francis and lives in Washington, D.C. with their dogs Brinkley and Franklin.
Hoffman is credited with helping Biden secure passage of numerous pieces of legislation including the criminal provisions of Sarbanes-Oxley and legislation closing the gap in sentencing between crack and powder cocaine.
Earlier in his career, Hoffman was Vice President for External Relations at the RAND Corporation, Vice President at Timmons and Company, Assistant United States Attorney in Philadelphia, Special Counsel to the Assistant Attorney General at the Department of Justice, Special Counsel to the Assistant Secretary at the Department of Health and Human Services and an attorney at the law firms Pepper, Hamilton and Scheetz.
- "Erin Medlicott: Alan Hoffman Returns To Washington As VP-Elect Joe Biden's Deputy Chief Of Staff". Huffingtonpost.com. 2011-05-25. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "Alan Hoffman ’88 Manages Daily Workings of Vice President Joe Biden’s Office · About · Lafayette College". Lafayette.edu. 2009-09-10. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "Alan Hoffman Class of '91 | USC Alumni Association". Alumni.usc.edu. Archived from the original on 26 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "University of California - UC Newsroom | Alan L. Hoffman appointed UC senior vice president for external relations". Universityofcalifornia.edu. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "washingtonpost.com - search nation, world, technology and Washington area news archives". Secure.pqarchiver.com. 2008-07-22. Archived from the original on 15 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "Alan Hoffman Joins RAND Corporation as Vice President of External Affairs | RAND". M.rand.org. 2004-09-30. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "Snowmobiles? This Isn't Yellowstone!". washingtonpost.com. 2004-09-30. Retrieved 2011-06-02.