Algoma Township, Michigan
|Algoma Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.3 sq mi (91.3 km2)|
|• Land||34.9 sq mi (90.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||764 ft (233 m)|
|• Density||217.9/sq mi (84.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625817|
Algoma was originally settled in 1843. The township was established in 1849.
In 1856 C. C. Comstock of Grand Rapids founded a mill in the township around which developed the community of Gougeburg'.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.3 square miles (91 km2), of which, 34.9 square miles (90 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (1.13%) is water.
Most Of The Township Is Served By 49341 (Rockford), Western Portions are Served By 49345 (Sparta), Northeastern Portions Are Served By 49319 (Cedar Springs)
Most Children Under 18 Are Served By Rockford Public Schools, Western Portions are served By Sparta Area Schools, Northern Portions are Served By Cedar Springs Public Schools
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,596 people, 2,588 households, and 2,158 families residing in the township. The population density was 217.9 per square mile (84.1/km²). There were 2,692 housing units at an average density of 77.2 per square mile (29.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.54% White, 0.22% African American, 0.29% Native American, 0.45% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.72% from other races, and 0.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.67% of the population.
There were 2,588 households out of which 42.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.3% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.6% were non-families. 12.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.2% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 31.8% from 25 to 44, 23.9% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 98.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $58,285, and the median income for a family was $62,863. Males had a median income of $45,281 versus $28,870 for females. The per capita income for the township was $23,150. About 2.6% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.5% of those under age 18 and 2.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Algoma Township, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986). Michigan Place Names. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. pp. 16–7. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6 – via Google Books.
- Romig, Walter (1986). Michigan Place Names. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. p. 230. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6 – via Google Books.
- Romig, Walter (1986). Michigan Place Names. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. p. 87. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6 – via Google Books.
- Romig, Walter (1986). Michigan Place Names. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. p. 176. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6 – via Google Books.