Assistant Secretary for Arms Control, Verification, and Compliance
Assistant Secretary of State
for Arms Control, Verification, and Compliance
|Inaugural holder||Paula A. DeSutter|
The Assistant Secretary of State for Arms Control, Verification and Compliance is the head of the Bureau of Arms Control, Verification and Compliance. Formerly known as the Bureau of Verification, Compliance and Implementation. The position was created on December 12, 1999 by Secretary Albright as the Assistant Secretary of State for Verification and Compliance. The Bureau became fully operational on February 1, 2000. Within the Department, the Assistant Secretary is responsible for all matters relating to the supervision of verification and compliance with international arms control, nonproliferation, and disarmament agreements. On March 17, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated former United States Department of Energy official Rose Gottemoeller to fill the position. She was confirmed by the Senate on April 3, 2009. Gottemoeller is an expert in Russian defense and nuclear issues.
The Assistant Secretary advises the Secretary of State and the Under Secretary for Arms Control and International Security/Senior Adviser to the President and the Secretary of State for Arms Control, Nonproliferation and Disarmament on the appropriate uses of the "Key Verification Assets Fund," and manages the fund.
The Assistant Secretary is also responsible for the President's Annual Report to Congress on Adherence to and Compliance with Arms Control Agreements, for Verifiability Assessments for all international arms control and nonproliferation agreements, and for specialized compliance reports required by U.S. Senate Resolutions of ratification, such as the Chemical Weapons Convention.
Assistant Secretaries of State for Arms Control, Verification and Compliance
|Name||Assumed Office||Left Office||President(s) served under|
|Paula A. DeSutter||August 14, 2002||January 16, 2009||George W. Bush|
|Rose Gottemoeller||April 6, 2009||Present||Barack Obama|
- President Obama Announces Key State Department Appointment. White House press release. Retrieved on 2009-04-03.
- Arshad, Mohammed (2009-03-17) Obama taps Russia specialist for arms control post. Reuters. Retrieved on 2009-03-18.
- Kamen, Al (2009-04-03) Senate Confirms a Slew of Nominees. Washington Post. Retrieved on 2009-04-13.
- Rose Gottemoeller. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Retrieved 2009-03-18.
- The Bureau of Arms Control, Verification and Compliance at the Department of State website
- The Bureau of Verification and Compliance archives
- (http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/10/148521.htm Press Release: The Department of State's Reorganization of the Arms Control and International Security Bureaus)
|This United States government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|