|Type||Community Special School|
Blackfriars School is a special school of approximately 200 pupils, covering an age range of 5 to 19, with a range of physical, learning, medical and sensory needs who come from North and Central Staffordshire and the Unitary Authority of Stoke-on-Trent. The school consists of two sites, one of these is the school which is based in Newcastle-Under-Lyme, Staffordshire, England and educates pupils aged between 5 and 16. The Further Education site is based in Bucknall, Stoke-on-Trent and caters for students aged between 16 and 19 years old.
Since it opened in September 1960, the school has won various accolades and has a long record of pioneering partnerships. These include being granted High Performing Specialist Status in February 2006. One of the first Beacon Schools, the school is also part of the Leading Edge Partnership programme. It is also integrated into the community thanks to its Technology College status. The school also enjoys a close working relationship with Madeley High School and a number of local primary schools.
Aims of the school
In its prospectus, the school states its aims which are as follows:
- To provide by continuous, thorough and systematic assessment a broad and balanced curriculum, encompassing all the requirements of the National Curriculum but tailored to the individual needs of each pupil. This curriculum will be challenging, self motivating and encouraging enabling each pupil to work to his/her full capacity.
- To plan and execute a multi-disciplinary programme of independence according to the needs of each pupil so that they will develop into confident and responsible young people.
- To develop a range of skills in vocational and leisure activities giving each pupil experience and support in surviving in a world orientated towards the able-bodied.
- To create a happy, supportive and welcoming environment for each pupil where individual achievement and success is celebrated by staff working as a team for the wellbeing of all.
- To share the skills and expertise of the school with mainstream schools and the local community, thus helping to create an increasingly inclusive society.
Both of the school's sites host a wide range of facilities which enable the pupils to reach their full potential. These include:
- Large, superbly resourced teaching areas
- Three ICT suites
- Two Art, Design and Technology Studios
- Maths Room and Science Laboratory
- Large Sports Complex
- Sensory Room
- Sensory Garden
- Drama Studio
- Community Shop
- Student Common Room and Café
- Two Swimming Pools
- Creative Arts and Games Hall
- Community Cyber Café
- Food Technology Room
- Vocational Areas
- Extensive Grounds
- Outside sports area with rubberised surface