|Cheri Jo "CJ" Pascoe|
|Born||Seattle, Washington, USA|
Cheri Jo "CJ" Pascoe is an American sociologist and author. She was an assistant professor at Colorado College, and is currently a professor at the University of Oregon. Her research focuses on gender, youth, homophobia, sexuality and new media.
She received her undergraduate degree from Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts. After college she coordinated an eating disorder program in Boston. She then furthered her education with a PhD in Sociology from University of California at Berkeley. She was drawn to Berkeley because of their strong Gender Studies program, and attended 1997-2007.
Pascoe started her career as a sociologist right out of graduate school working as a consultant for the Digital Youth Project in California founded by The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. The Digital Youth Project, based out of UC Berkeley, studies how youth use new media and addresses three main objectives: “The first objective is to describe kids as active innovators using digital media rather than as passive consumers of popular culture or academic knowledge. The second objective is to think about the implications of kids' innovative cultures for schools and higher education and to engage in a dialogue with educational planners. The third objective is to advise software designers about how to use kids' innovative approaches to knowledge and learning in building better software.”  While Pascoe was working with the Digital Youth Project she studied teens and how they used new media. She found that they were mostly using forms of new media throughout their romantic and dating lives.
Pascoe is especially interested in how teenage boys think of themselves as masculine. She spent a year and a half following teenage boys in a high school in California and found that they prove their masculinity by calling each other negative homosexual slurs. She found that these teenage boys prove themselves by calling others unmasculine or "fags" when they behave in unmasculine ways. “To call someone gay or fag is like the lowest thing you can call someone. Because that’s like saying that you’re nothing,” is how one teenage boy put it to Pascoe.
She has also been interested in the subculture that “Pro Ana” websites create and how women with anorexia use the web as a way to connect and encourage anorexia and other eating disorders. “This is by all means not all anorexics; I wouldn't even say the majority of anorexics or people with eating disorders are in this kind of community. These are primarily women who set out to have an eating-disordered lifestyle. This is not a teenager who's gone on a diet and taken it too far and is getting help. There's a difference between those two things. These are, again, primarily women who take pride in their ability to deny themselves food and to keep their weight at this artificially low and dangerous level”. 
Pascoe has published a variety of books, including:
- Dude You’re a Fag: Masculinity and Sexuality in High School (June, 2007). The book won the American Educational Research Association’s 2007 Book of the Year Award. The book documents the relationship between homophobic harassment, heterosexism and masculinity in high school.
- Pascoe is also a contributor to the coauthored book Hanging Out, Geeking Out and Messing Around: Living and Learning with New Media (November 2009). It is the largest qualitative study of youth new media use ever conducted.
- A further book, Anas, Mias and Wannas: Identity, Practice and Embodiment in Pro-Anorexia Communities, being coauthored with Professor Natalie Boero, is in production.
- Personal Interview Feb. 26, 2010
- ABOUT DIGITAL YOUTH | DIGITAL YOUTH RESEARCH." DIGITAL YOUTH RESEARCH | Kids' Informal Learning with Digital Media. Web. 26 February 2010
- Dude, Youve Got Problems - Opinionator Blog - NYTimes.com." Opinion - Opinionator Blog - NYTimes.com.
- "FRONTLINE: growing up online: interviews: c.j. pascoe |." PBS. Web. 20 February 2010.
- Dude, Youve Got Problems - Opinionator Blog - NYTimes.com.
- "Sexting, an Epidemic of Fuzzy Math - WSJ.com." Business News & Financial News - The Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com
- CJ Pascoe, PhD." Colorado College Faculty
- Amazon.com: Dude, You're a Fag: Masculinity and Sexuality in High School (9780520252301): C. J. Pascoe: Books."
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Awards; About AERA Awards; Outstanding Book Award." AERA Homepage. Web. 27 February 2010.
- "Amazon.com: Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning with New Media (John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Series on Digital Media and Learning) (9780262013369): Mizuko Ito, Sonja Baumer, Matteo Bittanti, danah boyd, Rachel Cody, Becky Herr-Stephenson, Heather A. Horst, Patricia G. Lange, Dilan Mahendran, Katynka Z. Martinez, C. J. Pascoe, Dan Perkel, Laura Robinson, Christo Sims, Lisa Tripp: Books."