|Directed by||Jaime Vallés
|Produced by||Jaime Vallés
|Written by||Jaime Vallés
Fernando Castro - Álvarez
Casi, Casi (English Translation: Almost Nearly) is a 2006 Puerto Rican film, written and directed by brothers Jaime and Tony Vallés. It was released in Puerto Rico in early 2007.
The film takes place in a Catholic school in Puerto Rico, where the main character, Emilio, is infatuated with Jacklynne, the most popular girl in school. In an attempt to impress her and win her over, he decides to run for Student Council President, only to discover that Jacklynne herself will be his adversary. Emilio then devises a plan, together with his friends, to rig the election and lose on purpose. However, they have to evade being caught by the strict Principal Richardson (Marian Pabón).
Emilio is a normal teenager, who somehow finds himself being sent to the principal's office every other week. He has a crush on Jacklynne, the most popular girl in school, so he decides to run for Student Council President in order to impress her. After announcing his candidacy, Emilio discovers, to his horror, that Jacklynne herself will be his opponent. Emotions fly high as campaign fever intensifies. Not wanting to lose his chance to win her heart, Emilio devises a risky plan to rig the election in her favor. It's a plan which will land him in even hotter water, if he is caught by the tyrannical school principal.
- Marian Pabón - Principal Richardson
- Mario Pabón - Emilio
- Irene Lucio - María Eugenia
- Fernando Castro-Álvarez - Ángel
- Ricardo Arias - Alfredo
- Marisa Gómez - Natalia
- Alexis Arce - Mónica
- Maite Cantó - Jacklynne
- Manuel Benítez - Manolete
- Albert Rodriguez - Sr. Bismark
To make the film, they approached members of their own family, among them the Puerto Rican actress, Marian Pabón, and Mario Pabón. Most of the cast were inexperienced actors taken directly from school, in order to give a feeling of naturalness and spontaneity to the film.
The auditions for the teenage cast were held in three private schools in San Juan, Puerto Rico:
- Academia del Perpetuo Socorro (location of most of the film, and the film's directors' alma mater)
- Commonwealth High School
- Saint John's School
Some of the novice actors, like Ricardo Arias, had to be persuaded by the directors. The directors were forced to fill the role of María Eugenia with a replacement, Irene Lucio.
To minimize expenses, all of the cast had to provide their own wardrobe, except for the school uniform shirts.
Despite being a low-budget film, it has received critical praise, including Ronnie Scheib from Variety magazine, and Joe Baltake, of the Philadelphia Film Festival, who compared it with Mean Girls and Clueless.
- San Diego Latino Film Festival - Audience Award 
- Philadelphia Film Festival - Third Place
- Chicago Latino Film Festival - Third Place
- New York International Latino Film Festival - Official Selection
- Vistas Film Festival - Official Selection
- Boston Latino Film Festival - Official Selection
- Mariela Fullana Acosta (January 11, 2007). "Primera Hora: "Casi casi" producto del ingenio de dos hermanos".
- Mariela Fullana Acosta (January 10, 2007). "Primera Hora: Marian Pabón sirve de guía a su hija y sus sobrinos".
- Ronnie Scheib (August 21, 2006). "Variety Reviews: Casi Casi".
- Joe Baltake (2006). "2006 Philadelphia Film Festival".
- Media Arts Center (2006). "San Diego Latino Film Festival Awards".