Chris Foy (referee)
|Full name||Christopher J Foy|
20 November 1962 |
St. Helens, Lancashire, England
|1994–1995||The Football League||Assistant referee|
|1995–1996||Premier League||Assistant referee|
|1996–2001||The Football League||Referee|
Christopher J. Foy (born 20 November 1962 in St. Helens, Lancashire) is an English professional football referee who officiates primarily in the Premier League. He is a member of the Liverpool County Football Association.
Since his first appointment as an official in the Football League in 1994 and his promotion to the list of Select Group Referees in 2001 Foy has refereed a number of notable matches, including the FA Community Shield and the finals of the FA Trophy, Football League Cup and FA Cup.
He made the step up to the role of referee in the Football League in 1996, and became a Premier League referee in 2001, his first appointment being the 0–0 draw between Bolton Wanderers and Charlton Athletic on 15 December of that year. Earlier in 2001 Foy was appointed fourth official for the FA Trophy final at Villa Park on 12 May 2001, when Canvey Island defeated Forest Green Rovers 1–0.
He was also fourth official during the international friendly match when England lost 2–1 to Italy at Elland Road, Leeds, on 27 March 2002, and on 21 May 2006 for the Championship play-off between Leeds United and Watford, the latter winning 3–0.
Nine days after the Championship play-off he was fourth official again when England played Hungary at Old Trafford, England winning 3–1. Foy subsequently retired from international activities at the complusory age of 45 in 2007.
In 2007, he was selected to referee the FA Trophy final at Wembley Stadium between Stevenage Borough and Kidderminster Harriers on 12 May. The match was won 3–2 by Stevenage, with Foy issuing four yellow cards.
As an Everton fan, Foy does not referee competitive games involving the club although he did referee an Everton away game at Aston Villa in 2002 before he had declared his interest in the team.
Foy was actively involved in the Don't X The Line campaign to eradicate abusive or aggressive behaviour from players and spectators at junior and youth matches. He has also supported Knowsley Housing Trust's (KHT) "Give Rent Arrears the Red Card" scheme which advises tenants to avoid rent arrears and being "sent off" to court.
2009 League Cup final
1 March 2009
|Manchester United||0–0 (a.e.t.)||Tottenham Hotspur|
2009 FA Community Shield
9 August 2009
2010 FA Cup final
Foy's highest refereeing honour to date was to officiate the 2010 FA Cup Final, won 1–0 by Chelsea and during which he issued three cautions to Portsmouth players and awarded Portsmouth a penalty kick which was missed by Kevin-Prince Boateng just four minutes prior to Didier Drogba's winning goal.
15 May 2010
|Season||Games||Total||per game||Total||per game|
There are no available records prior to 1997/98.
- Birthdate confirmation at the Football League official website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- Confirmation of place of residence: Newcastle-Online.com website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- First match in the Premier League: soccerbase.com website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- FA Trophy Final 2001 result: TheFA.com website. Retrieved on 27 March 2008.
- FA Trophy Final 2001 report: report from The Independent, through the FindArticles service. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- Fourth official, England v. Italy, 2002: EnglandFootballOnline website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- Championship Play-off result: soccerbase.com website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- Fourth official, England v. Hungary, 2006: EnglandFootballOnline website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- FA Trophy Final result: TheFA.com website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- FA Cup Final 2008, fourth official: TheFA.com official website. Retrieved on 8 April 2008.
- Everton fan: Toffeeweb.com website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- Friendly match involving Everton, his favourite team, 2007: BlueKipper.com website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- Refereeing his own team v. Aston Villa, Premier League, 2002: soccerbase.com website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- "Don't X The Line" campaign objectives. Retrieved on 27 March 2008.
- "Respect is due in football": article, BBC.co.uk website. Retrieved on 26 March 2008.
- [dead link]
- Calring Cup Final, Manchester United v. Tottenham Hotspur, referee: Refworld.com website. Retrieved on 1 August 2009.
- Community Shield, Chelsea v. Manchester United, referee: Refworld.com website. Retrieved on 1 August 2009.
- Chris Foy Profile at Refworld.com
- Chris Foy Referee Statistics at Soccerbase.com
- Chris Foy Interview at FA.com website
|FA Trophy Final
|League Cup Final
|FA Cup Final