Christopher "Kip" Bateman (born October 9, 1957 in Somerville, New Jersey) is an American Republican Party politician, who has served in the New Jersey Senate since January 8, 2008, where he represents the 16th Legislative District. Bateman is the Senate's Deputy Conference Leader and serves on the Joint Committee on the Public Schools, the Environment and Energy Committee and the Judiciary Committee.
Bateman has sponsored laws reducing auto insurance premium costs for policy holders, allowing tax filers to contribute a portion of their income tax refund to support the Drug Abuse Education Fund (DARE) program and creating a grant program to provide thermal imaging cameras to fire departments and companies throughout the state.
He was born on October 9, 1957, in Somerville, New Jersey to Raymond Bateman, who represented the 16th District in the New Jersey Senate in the 1960s and 1970s, and was the Republican candidate for Governor of New Jersey in 1977. Bateman received a B.A. in 1980 from Ithaca College in Political Science and History and was awarded a J.D. in 1987 from the Seton Hall University School of Law.
He served on the Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders from 1988 to 1994 and as its Director in 1992. He served on the Branchburg Township Committee from 1983 to 1988 and was its Mayor in 1986. Bateman was appointed to the Task Force to Study Homeowner Associations from 1996 to 1997 and the Delaware and Raritan Transportation Safety Study Commission from 1995 to 1996.
Bateman served in the New Jersey General Assembly from 1994 to 2008, where he was the Assembly's Assistant Republican Leader from 2004 to 2005, was the Assistant Republican Whip from 2002 to 2003, the Majority Whip in 1996 and was the Assistant Majority Whip from 1994 to 1995. Bateman served in the Assembly on the Commerce and Economic Development Committee, the Financial Institutions and Insurance Committee and the Legislative Services Commission.
He lives in the Neshanic Station section of Branchburg Township, and is married with four children: Chris, Joe, Stephanie, and Katie. Stephane is a senior at Somerville High School; Chris graduated in 2004 and Joe in 2007.
Each of the forty districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 16th District for the 2012-2013 Legislative Session are:
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2011|
|Republican||Christopher Bateman (incumbent)||21,040||54.6%|
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2007|
|Democratic||Wayne G. Fox||17,378||38.4%|
- Senator Bateman's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed April 23, 2008.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2007 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 3, 2007. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Assembly Member Christopher 'Kip' Bateman, Project Vote Smart. Accessed August 10, 2007.
- Legislative Roster 2012-2013 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2011 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 14, 2011. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Senator Christoper 'Kip' Bateman's Official Site
- Senator Bateman's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Senator Christopher 'Kip' Bateman, Project Vote Smart
- New Jersey Voter Information Website 2003