O'Neill heading into the Royal Chapel, Stockholm Palace, 2013.
|Born||Christopher Paul O'Neill
27 June 1974
London, England, UK
|Alma mater||Boston University
Columbia Business School
|Spouse(s)||Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland|
|Parents||Paul Cesario O'Neill
Eva Maria Walter
O'Neill was born in London to Paul Cesario O'Neill (1926–2004), an American investment banker who came to London in the 1960s to set up the European head office of Oppenheimer & Co, and his second wife, Eva Maria (née Walter; born 1940, Austria). Christopher has two half-sisters on his mother's side (Tatjana d'Abo, Countess Natascha Abensberg-Traun) and three on his father's side (Stephanie, Annalisa and Karen, all née O'Neill). He grew up in London and St. Gallen, often spending time in Austria and Germany, and holds dual United States and British citizenship.
Education and career
O'Neill was educated at Institut auf dem Rosenberg in St. Gallen, Switzerland, and holds a BA degree in International Relations from Boston University. He also obtained an MBA degree from Columbia Business School in New York. He is a partner and Head of Research at Noster Capital and former employee at NM Rothschild and Sons and Steinberg Asset Management.
Relationship and marriage
The first time Princess Madeleine and O'Neill appeared publicly together was in January 2011. Their engagement was announced on 25 October 2012 with an official interview, and in late April 2013 it was announced that their wedding would take place on 8 June 2013 at the Royal Chapel within the Royal Palace in Stockholm, followed by dinner at the royal family's residence, Drottningholm Palace.
Unlike his brother-in-law, Prince Daniel, O'Neill holds no royal duties or titles, because a member of the Swedish royal family must hold Swedish citizenship, which O'Neill has declined. As a private citizen, he will continue his career in finance. The couple intends to continue living in New York.
In 2013, his father-in-law, Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, appointed O'Neill the following Swedish honours:
- Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star (KNO) (6 June 2013).
- Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of His Majesty The King (15 September 2013).
- Geni: Paul Cesario O'Neill; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Swedish Royal Court website: Mr Christopher O'Neill's biography; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Svenska Dagbladet (25 October 2012), "Vem är Chris O´Neill?" (in Swedish); accessed 8 June 2013.
- Expressen (12 May 2013), "Så hamnade Maddes svärmor i finrummen" (in Swedish); accessed 8 June 2013.
- "Engagement between Princess Madeleine and Mr Christopher O'Neill"; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Swedish Royal Court press release (dated 29 April 2013), "The wedding weekend (7-8 June 2013)"; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Swedish Royal Court press release dated 20 May 2013: "Mr Christopher O'Neill's title", accessed 8 June 2013.
- "Prinsessan Madeleine och Herr Christopher O'Neill väntar barn" (in Swedish). Kungahuset. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Madeleine bekräftar: Uppgifterna stämmer!". Svensk Damtidning. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Swedish RoyalCourt website: Christopher O'Neill named Companion, Order of the Polar Star; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Ruby Jubilee in Sweden (in Spanish)