O'Neill heading into the Royal Chapel, Stockholm Palace, 2013.
|Born||Christopher Paul O'Neill
27 June 1974
|Alma mater||Boston University
Columbia Business School
|Title||Herr (in Sweden)|
|Spouse(s)||Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland|
|Children||Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland|
|Parents||Paul Cesario O'Neill
Eva Maria Walter
O'Neill was born in London to Paul Cesario O'Neill (1926–2004), an American investment banker who came to London in the 1960s to set up the European head office of Oppenheimer & Co, by his second wife, Eva Maria (née Walter; born 1940, in Austria). O'Neill has two half-sisters on his mother's side (Tatjana d'Abo, Countess Natascha von Abensberg-Traun) and three on his father's side (Stefanie, Annalisa and Karen, all nées O'Neill). He grew up in London and St. Gallen, but also in Austria and Germany a lot of the time, and holds dual U.S. and British citizenship.
Education and career
O'Neill was educated at Rosenberg (Institut auf dem Rosenberg) in St. Gallen, Switzerland, and graduated with a BA degree in International Relations from Boston University. He also obtained an MBA from Columbia Business School in New York. He is a Partner and Head of Research at Noster Capital and former employee of NM Rothschild and Sons and Steinberg Asset Management.
Relationship and marriage
The first time Princess Madeleine of Sweden and O'Neill appeared publicly together was in January 2011. Their engagement was announced in an official interview on 25 October 2012, and in late April 2013 it was announced that their wedding would take place on 8 June 2013 at the Royal Chapel, Stockholm Palace and followed by dinner at the Swedish Royal Family's residence, Drottningholm Palace.
Unlike his brother-in-law, Prince Daniel, O'Neill is untitled and undertakes no royal duties, since members of the Swedish Royal Family must hold Swedish citizenship, which O'Neill has declined. The Royal Court refers to him in Swedish as Herr Christopher O'Neill a form of title which is not normally used (it would normally be herr). Thus, remaining a private citizen, he can continue his career in finance, and the couple continue living in New York.
Their daughter, Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland, was born at New York on 20 February 2014.
In 2013, his father-in-law, King Carl XVI Gustaf conferred upon O'Neill:
- Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star (KNO) (6 June 2013).
- Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of His Majesty The King (15 September 2013).
- Geni: Paul Cesario O'Neill; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Swedish Royal Court website: Mr Christopher O'Neill's biography; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Svenska Dagbladet (25 October 2012), "Vem är Chris O´Neill?" (in Swedish); accessed 8 June 2013.
- Expressen (12 May 2013), "Så hamnade Maddes svärmor i finrummen" (in Swedish); accessed 8 June 2013.
- "Engagement between Princess Madeleine and Mr Christopher O'Neill"; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Swedish Royal Court press release (dated 29 April 2013), "The wedding weekend (7-8 June 2013)"; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Special courtesy according to Magdalena Ribbing
- Swedish Royal Court press release dated 20 May 2013: "Mr Christopher O'Neill's title", accessed 8 June 2013.
- Swedish RoyalCourt website: Christopher O'Neill named Companion, Order of the Polar Star; accessed 8 June 2013.
- Ruby Jubilee in Sweden (in Spanish)