Christopher Williams (artist)
Academic career 
In the 1970s and early 1980s, he studied at the California Institute of the Arts where he received his B.F.A. and M.F.A. under the first generation of West Coast conceptual artists including John Baldessari and Douglas Huebler. Since October 2008 he has been a Professor in Photography at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf.
In 2000, at an exhibition at David Zwirner Gallery, in New York, Williams showed twenty photographs including a series of pictures of a 1964 Renault automobile on its side. Writing in the New York Times Ken Johnson said, "the Renault was made in a French factory where significant revolutionary activities took place in 1968; hence it is tipped up like a barricade.". Since joining David Zwirner in 2000, he has had five solo exhibitions at the gallery in New York. Christopher Williams: For Example: Dix-Huit Leçons Sur La Société Industrielle (Revision 18) will mark his first solo show at David Zwirner, London, which will be on view from May 17 to June 15, 2013.
Williams will participate in the 55th Venice Biennale, opening in June 2013, curated by Massimiliano Gioni. His first solo museum exhibition in the United States will open in 2014 at The Art Institute of Chicago and will travel to The Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Working practice 
Writing in Artforum in 2007, Tim Griffin described Williams's approach as "sociophotographic." It has been said that Williams works within the tradition of institutional critique within what Sven Lütticken describes as an informal group, along with Willem de Rooij, Jeroen de Rijke and Mathias Poledna, that investigates the "parameters of the exhibition space."
- Getty Research, Union List of Artist Names Online
- Ken Johnson "Christopher Williams", The New York Times April 7, 2000.
- Zwirner, David. "Exhibition Schedule Christopher Williams". Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Boucher, Brian. "Christopher Williams Exhibition Will Hit Art Institute, MoMA". Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Tim Griffin "Christopher Williams: Galleria d'Arte Moderna, Bologna, Bologna," Artforum, January 2007.
- Lütticken, 122
- Burton, Johanna. “Christopher Williams at David Zwirner.” Artforum (May 2008): 376-377.
- Ekeberg, Jonas. “Fotografiets Utvidete Felft Photography’s Expanded Field.” OM FOTOGRAFI (2005): 3-11.
- Godfrey, Mark. “Christopher Williams.” Artforum (May 2007): 366.
- Lütticken, Sven. “Gegen die Wand.” Texte Zur Kunst (June 2009): 121-123.
- Rattemeyer, Christian. “Christopher Williams.” Parkett No. 77 (2006):155.