Convention Industry Council
The Convention Industry Council (CIC) is a non-profit federation of more than 30 leading U.S. and international organizations involved in the meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry. CIC’s member organizations represent more than 103,500 individuals and 19,300 firms or properties across all sectors of the industry.
The mission of the Convention Industry Council is to provide a forum for member organizations to exchange information on global trends and topics, promulgate excellence in best practices and guidelines, collaborate on industry issues and advocate the value of the meetings, conventions, exhibitions and events industry.
The Convention Liaison Council was founded in New York in 1949 by four organizations – American Society of Association Executives (ASAE); American Hotel and Motel Association (AH&MA); Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI); and International Association of Convention and Visitor Bureaus (IACVB). In 2000, the organization changed its name to the Convention Industry Council. In the years since its inception, CIC has grown to include more than 30 member organizations. CIC is currently headquartered in Alexandria, VA.
The Convention Industry Council's most notable programs include:
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) program recognizes individuals who have achieved the industry's highest standard of professionalism. To earn the CMP designation, the meeting professional must demonstrate their experience andmeducation in this field and pass a rigorous exam.
- The Certified Meeting Professional Healthcare Subspecialty (CMP-HC) certification program is a new designation specifically developed for those working in the healthcare meeting industry. A subspecialty of the CMP program, it is designed to identify those who have mastered the knowledge needed to be a successful healthcare meeting professional. Only those who hold a current CMP certification are eligible to take this exam.
- The Accepted Practices Exchange (APEX) is an initiative of the Convention Industry Council that promotes development and implementation of industry-wide accepted practices for the meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry. Over 5,600 industry professionals have been involved in the development of APEX. Its mission is to bring together all stakeholders in developing and implementing accepted practices to create and enhance efficiencies throughout the industry.
- The Meetings Industry Advocacy Hub is an online vehicle to engage, educate and activate meeting industry professionals. Created in partnership with Voices in Advocacy (VIA), this first of its kind Hub will engage professionals to show support of the global meetings industry by registering online as a meetings industry advocate.
- Since 1985, CIC has honored the industry’s outstanding leaders and innovators through its Hall of Leaders initiative. CIC member organizations and the industry community submit nominations to a blue-ribbon committee appointed by CIC, which then selects the award recipients. A video tribute to each inductee is placed permanently on display at the Hall of Leaders Recognition Pavilion housed within the Washington Convention Center. Additionally, a bronze plaque bearing the recipient’s name is displayed at McCormick Place in Chicago. A gala ceremony marks the induction.
- AMC Institute – Formerly IAAMC
- American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA)
- American Society of Association Executives and the Center for Executive Leadership (ASAE)
- Association of Collegiate Conference and Events Directors-International (ACCED-I)
- Association of Destination Management Executives International (ADME International)
- Convention Sales Professionals International (CSPI)
- Destination Marketing Association International (DMAI) – Formerly IACVB
- Event Service Professionals Association (ESPA)
- Exhibition Services & Contractors Association (ESCA)
- Financial & Insurance Conference Planners (FICP)
- Green Meeting Industry Council (GMIC)
- Healthcare Convention and Exhibitors Association (HCEA)
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI)
- International Association of Venue Managers (IAVM)
- International Association of Conference Centers (IACC)
- International Association for Exhibitions and Events (IAEE) – Formerly IAEM
- International Association of Professional Congress Organisers (IAPCO)
- International Association of Speakers Bureaus (IASB)
- International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA)
- International Special Events Society (ISES)
- Meeting Professionals International (MPI)
- National Association of Catering Executives (NACE)
- National Coalition of Black Meeting Planners (NCBMP)
- National Speakers Association (NSA)
- Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA)
- Protocol & Diplomacy International - Protocol Officers Association (PDI - POA)
- Religious Conference Management Association (RCMA)
- Society of Government Meeting Professionals (SGMP)
- Society of Incentive and Travel Executives (SITE)
- Southern African Association of the Conference Industry (SAACI)
- US Travel Association (U.S. Travel)