Crossbow (short film)
|Directed by||David Michôd|
|Produced by||Angie Fielder
|Written by||David Michôd|
|Music by||Sam Petty|
|Edited by||Luke Doolan|
|Running time||15 min|
Crossbow is a 2007 Australian coming-of-age drama film written and directed by David Michôd. The film features Cy Standen, Joel Edgerton, Lisa Chappell and Mirrah Foulkes and had its world premiere in competition at the Venice Film Festival on 9 March 2007. After that the film compete at number of film festivals and earned good reviews.
The film focus on a kid and his relationship with his mum and dad. His problems and struggle and the neighbor who watched the whole thing unravel.
- Cy Standen as The kid
- Joel Edgerton as The dad
- Lisa Chappell as The mum
- Mirrah Foulkes as The Cop
- David Michôd as Narrator
The film received mainly positive reviews. Jason Sondhi of short of the week gave film the positive review and praised Michôd's direction and said "I find the elegaic streak that Crossbow mines to be rare and wonderful in film, and kudos go to Michôd, because it is difficult to pull off. Indeed the film is strikingly reminiscent to one of the best films of this vein, Sofia Coppola’s work, The Virgin Suicides, a movie structured very similarly, with its title that undermines suspense, and its observant narration that wrestles with the exquisite sadness of seemingly senseless tragedy, and how it relates to sexuality and nostalgia." Another review for the film also praised Michôd by saying "Michôd seems very close to hitting all the right notes in Crossbow and he seems extremely comfortable behind a camera."
|2007||Melbourne International Film Festival||Film Victoria Erwin Rado Award for Best Australian Short Film||Won|
|Australian Film Institute Awards (AFI)||Best Screenplay in a Short Film||David Michôd||Won|
|Fitz Best Short film Awards||Best Film||Won|
|2008||Flickerfest film festival||Best Director||David Michôd||Won|
|Best Sound Design||Sam Petty||Won|
|St Kilda Short Film Festival||Best Cinematography||Greig Fraser||Won|
- "Writer/Director - David Michod". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "DAVID MICHOD, "ANIMAL KINGDOM"". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Angie Fielder Co-Founder, Aquarius Films". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "CROSSBOW". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Films & Events". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "5 australian short films selected for sundance film festival". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Crossbow (2007 Short Film)". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Crossbow A STYLISH AND MEDITATIVE FILM CENTERING ON THE UNHAPPY LIFE OF A NEGLECTED TEEN, TOLD FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF HIS NEIGHBOR WHO ATTEMPTS TO MAKE SENSE OF HIM.". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Review Crossbow". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL:AUSTRALIA ALL GENRES". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "AACTA 2007 Winners & Nominees". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "THE FITZ Best Short Film Awards of 2007". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Winners of the 17th annual Flickerfest Awards announced". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Flickerfest: Celebrating 20 Years". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "St Kilda Short Film Festival WINNERS". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Crossbow at the Internet Movie Database
- Crossbow at AllMovie