Darshan in Saarathi
|Native name||ದರ್ಶನ ತೂಗುದೀಪ್|
16 February 1977
Mysuru, Karnataka, India
|Residence||Bengaluru, Karnataka, India|
|Other names||Challenging Star|
|Occupation||Actor, producer, distributor|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Spouse(s)||Vijaya Lakshmi (m. 2000)|
|Relatives||Dinakar Thoogudeep (brother)|
Darshan Thoogudeep (born 16 February 1977), mononymously credited as Darshan, is an Indian film actor and film producer who works predominantly in the Kannada film industry. He is often called the Challenging Star by his fans. Son of actor Thoogudeepa Srinivas, Darshan made his lead role film debut in 2001 film, Majestic, and has since then starred in many commercial and critical hit films such as Majestic (2001), Kariya (2003), Namma Preethiya Ramu (2003), Kalasipalya (2005), Gaja (2008), Saarathi (2011), Chingari (2012) Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna (2012) and Bulbul (2013).
After working behind the camera and in small roles, he received his break in Majestic . He is also known for his strong passion for wild animals and owns a private zoo in the far east of Mysore. Because of his consistent performance at box office, he is considered one of the most dependable and bankable stars in the industry.
After much success in his career he made his venture in film production also. He established his own production house "Thoogudeepa productions" in 2006 and its first film was Jothe Jotheyali starring Prem, Ramya and Darshan in a special appearance.
Darshan was born to character actor Thoogudeepa Srinivas and Meena Thoogudeepa on 16 February 1977 in Mysore. His younger brother Dinakar Thoogudeep is a film director who scripts films under their home production. Thoogudeepa is the name of a Kannada Film in which Srinivas, father of Darshan, acted and got the fame.
As a child, he studied his primary and secondary education at Mysore. Before entering into films, Darshan appeared in few tele-serials and tele-shows..
Starting off his career as a lead actor, Darshan worked in several feature films in various insignificant roles such as assistant cinematographer and uncredited actor. His first acting stint was in the 1997 released film Mahabharatha directed by S. Narayan. He went on to feature in small supporting roles in the films such as Devara Maga (2000), Bhootayyana Makkalu (2000). This period saw him play small roles in Television series as well.
Darshan's first break came with the film Majestic directed by P. N. Satya and released in 2001 in which he played the role of Daasa, an innocent youth turned underwold don, for the first time. Sify called his performance as "impressive" and promising. The movie was a huge hit commercially and critically. After Majestic, Darshan signed more films, and by the end of 2002, three more films (Dhruva, Ninagoskara, Kitti) with him as lead were released.
He then appeared in films such as Kitti, Ninagoskara and Neenandre Ishta, "Daasa" produced by Ramesh Yadav. He starred in Prem's directorial debut, the 2003 action film Kariya. The film was declared as a blockbuster and was one of the major grossers of 2003. His next ventures saw him portraying diverse roles of a budding musician in Laali Haadu, a journalist in Lankesh Patrike and a blind poor man in Namma Preethiya Ramu.
In 2006, After much success in his career he made his venture in film production also. He established his own production house "Thoogudeepa productions" and its first film was "Jothe Jotheyali" starring Prem, Ramya and Darshan Thoogudeep in a special appearance. The film was a commercial hit running 150 days in theatres.
His 2012 release was Chingari. Next, he played a protagonist role in Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna and got his maiden Karnataka State Film Awards and Filmfare Award for best actor. In 2013 he had two major releases, BulBul and Sangolli Rayanna, both of which were much anticipated and declared as biggest blockbusters of his career .
Darshan married Vijayalakshmi in 2000. They have one child named Vineesh. Darshan runs his own zoo privately in far east of Mysore, Karnataka. Darshan’s other passion is cars.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2000||Ellara Mane Dosenoo|
|2001||Majestic||Daasa||First film in a lead role|
|2003||Laali Haadu||Puttaswamy ("Anand")|
|2003||Namma Preethiya Ramu||Ramu|
|2006||Mandya||Ganesh / Eshwar|
|2006||Jothe Jotheyali||Himself||Special appearance|
|2007||Ee Bandhana||Kiran||Extended cameo appearance|
|2008||Navagraha||Jaggu||Extended cameo appearance|
|2010||Porki||Datthu / Surya|
|2011||Boss||Ram / Raj|
|2011||Saarathi||Raja / Krishna||Suvarna Best Hero award
TV9 Best Actor award
|2012||Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna||Sangolli Rayanna||Filmfare Award for Best Actor
Karnataka State Film Award for Best Actor
Suvarna Film Award for Best Actor
|2014||Agraja||Charan Daas||Extended cameo appearance|
As a film producer
Darshan started a production house named Thoogudeepa productions, which has produced following movies.
|1||2006||Jothe Jotheyali||Dinakar Thoogudeepa |
|2||2008||Navagraha (film)||Dinakar Thoogudeepa|
|3||2013||Bulbul (film)||M. D. Shridhar|
The latest addition to the Darshan empire is a distribution company called Toogudeepa Distributors. Darshan's family already has a production company; Toogudeepa Productions and also a shooting unit. The first film that has besn distributed through the new distribution company is Bulbul, which has released on 10 May.
|1||2013||Bulbul||M. D. Shridhar|
- 2010 - Won Zee Kannada & Innovative Film Awards — Onida Style Icon Award.
- 2012 - Won TV9 Best Actor award for the movie Saarathi 
- 2012 - Won Suvarna Best Hero award- Saarathi.
- 2012 - Nominated SIIMA Award for Best Actor- Saarathi.
- 2012 - Won Man of the Year by Bangalore Press Club.
- 2013 - Nominated SIIMA Award for Best Actor- Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna.
- 2013 - Won Suvarna Best Actor award- Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna.
- 2013 - Won Filmfare Best Actor Award - Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna.
- 2013 - Won Karnataka State Film Award for Best Actor - Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna.
- "Kannadawood.com". Kannadawood.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- Aiyappa, Manu (16 September 2011). "Actor Darshan: From Rs 200 per day to Rs 1.25 crore per film - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Darshan Biography, Darshan Profile". entertainment.oneindia.in. n.d. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Challenging star Darshan Thoogudeepa biography". Kannadawood.com. n.d. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Darshan". entertainment.oneindia.in. 1977-02-16. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Profile and Biography of Kannada Actor Darshan Thoogudeepa". Karnatakaspider.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Darshan - GGpedia". Wiki.gandhadagudi.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Movie Review : Majestic". Sify.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Darshan: An actor, but no gentleman". Deccan Chronicle. 10 September 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- And the Filmfare Award for Kannada goes to...
- "Darshan Biography, Darshan Profile". entertainment.oneindia.in. 1977-02-16. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- Jothe Jotheyalli Review – Kannada Movie Review by RGV. Nowrunning.com (2006-09-22). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Exclusive . "Darshan starts Distribution Company - Exclusive". chitraloka.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Zee Kannada Press Release". Zeekannadatv.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- [dead link]
- "Darshan and Rajnikanth in The Man of the Year List". chitraloka.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- http://www.bharatstudent.com/ (2012-12-14). "Darshan and Superstar Rajinikanth among man of the year list - Kannada Movie News". Bharatstudent.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.