David Nelson (American football)
Nelson in the 2011 preseason.
No. 86 New York Jets
|Date of birth:November 7, 1986|
|Place of birth: Dallas, Texas|
|High school: Wichita Falls (TX) Rider|
|Undrafted in 2010|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Buffalo Bills|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2013
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
David Alan Nelson (born November 7, 1986) is an American football wide receiver for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Florida, where he was a member of two BCS National Championship teams. He was signed by the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent in 2010.
Nelson was born in Wichita Falls, Texas in 1986. He began his high school career at 1A Petrolia High School, winning the 2002 Texas 1A State Championship. Beginning his Junior year, He attended S. H. Rider High School in Wichita Falls, where he played high school football for the Rider Raiders. As a senior, Nelson was team captain and had ninety-one receptions for 1,641 yards and eighteen touchdowns.
Nelson received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football team from 2005 to 2009. The Gators coaching staff elected to redshirt Nelson as a true freshman in 2004. During his time as a Gator, the team won two SEC Championship Games (2006, 2008) and two BCS National Championship Games (2007, 2009). The highlight of his senior season in 2009 was a four-reception day for fifty-three yards against the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2009 SEC Championship Game. During his four-season college career, Nelson played in forty-four games, started fourteen, and made forty-six receptions for 630 yards (a 13.7-yard average) and seven touchdowns. Nelson was also the recipient of Tim Tebow's "Jump Pass" in the 2009 BCS National Championship Game which cemented their 24-14 victory over the Oklahoma Sooners.
The Buffalo Bills signed Nelson as undrafted free agent, and he made his professional debut in the Bills' October 3, 2010 game against the New York Jets. Nelson had two consecutive touchdowns in the 2010-2011 season coming from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick versus Cleveland and Miami, in weeks 14 and 15. Following the 2012 season, the Bills did not tender a new contract, and he became an unrestricted free agent.
Nelson was signed by the Browns on April 8, 2013.
Nelson was cut by the Browns on August 31,2013.
New York Jets
|Year||Team||Games||Receptions||Targets||Receiving Yards||Yards per Reception||Longest Reception||Receiving Touchdowns||First Downs||Fumbles||Fumbles Lost|
- 2006 Florida Gators football team
- 2008 Florida Gators football team
- Florida Gators
- List of Buffalo Bills players
- List of Florida Gators football players
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, David Nelson. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- GatorZone.com, Football History, 2009 Roster, David Nelson. Retrieved May 8, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 74, 81, 184 (2011). Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Adam Schefter, "David Nelson to become free agent," ESPN (February 24, 2013). Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Browns sign WR David Nelson
- Jets Staff (2 October 2013). "Jets Sign WR David Nelson to Active Roster". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 5 October 2013. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "David Nelson Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 20 February 2014.